Q. I had vaginal intercourse and condom broke. Am I at the risk of HIV?

Dr. Sushma Shah
Published on Jun 18, 2018

Two weeks ago I had a scare. I had vaginal intercourse with a girl from the bar and the condom broke and I removed immediately. I asked her about her status and she stated clean. There was some blood on the bed from her after. I started PEP within 24 hours from the clinic, they gave me Tenofovir, Emtricitabine, Lamivudine one pill each daily. Is this a good drug regime? Two weeks later, I started to feel a sore throat or night sweats. What are the odds of being infected? Is this low risk?

Dr. Sushma Shah

HIV/AIDS Specialist
#

PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) is good. A sore throat is very common at this time. You can go to ENT specialist. You can have tablet Zerodol SP (Aceclofenac, Serratiopeptidase, and Paracetamol) two times a day after food for three to five days, tablet TAXIM O (Cefixime) 200 two times a day after food for three to five days. Tantum (Benzydamine) liquid gargle before meals two times. You will be all right, as such you go for a test fourth generation CMIA kit test for HIV on the 28th day. If it comes negative, means no HIV is there. PEP to be taken for 28 days.

For more information consult a HIV/AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

Is it possible to have hairy leukoplakia three months after risky sexual activity?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28 year old male who discovered this lesion on my tongue by accident while brushing my teeth. It does not come off easily with the toothbrush. Actually, it does not, unless I apply significant force to remove it. It has been a month since I first discovered it and no other symp...  Read Full »

Is immuno-concentration HIV test conclusive after 15 months of sexual exposure?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25-year-old boy. I had a partner for past 2 to 3 years. We performed sex 6 to 7 times. Last was before 14 months and then had a break-up. Now I see that she is HIV positive. Now I fear about HIV because there is high risk and I want to marry another girl. My symptoms are a sore...  Read Full »

Is it risky to have sexual intercourse with type 1 herpes patient?

Query: Hi doctor, I just recently started dating a man that informed me he has type 1 herpes. I want to know the risk factors and protective measures I can take if I choose to start a sexual relationship with him.  Read Full »

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now