Q. I had vaginal intercourse and condom broke. Am I at the risk of HIV?

Dr. Sushma Shah

Two weeks ago I had a scare. I had vaginal intercourse with a girl from the bar and the condom broke and I removed immediately. I asked her about her status and she stated clean. There was some blood on the bed from her after. I started PEP within 24 hours from the clinic, they gave me Tenofovir, Emtricitabine, Lamivudine one pill each daily. Is this a good drug regime? Two weeks later, I started to feel a sore throat or night sweats. What are the odds of being infected? Is this low risk?

#

PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) is good. A sore throat is very common at this time. You can go to ENT specialist. You can have tablet Zerodol SP (Aceclofenac, Serratiopeptidase, and Paracetamol) two times a day after food for three to five days, tablet TAXIM O (Cefixime) 200 two times a day after food for three to five days. Tantum (Benzydamine) liquid gargle before meals two times. You will be all right, as such you go for a test fourth generation CMIA kit test for HIV on the 28th day. If it comes negative, means no HIV is there. PEP to be taken for 28 days.

For more information consult a HIV/AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

|