Q. Can I take Cipralex and Petril MD for anxiety disorder?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

I have an anxiety disorder. Neuropsychiatrist prescribed me Cipralex 10 mg and Petril MD 0.5 1/2 tablet. I took Cipralex for a month and Petril for 22 days when I went to review with my doctor he said to continue Cipralex and Petril 0.5 mg. I have been taking 1/2 tablet but he said to take full tablet. He said 0.5 is not a high dose and to take it for 30 days and slowly he will reduce the dose, from two days I am taking 0.5 tablet of Petril. Will I have any side effects such as dizziness, fainting, seizures, etc? Is it safe for me to take the prescribed dose?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry
#

Cipralex (Escitalopram) 10 mg is good medicine for anxiety disorder. You may need to continue for at least six months to a year. Petril (Clonazepam) 0.5 mg is fine to be taken short term for upto a month, then your doctor will gradually taper it off. Also, try to get some counselling or psychological therapy. Also, yoga can help. Address any stressors in your life that can be perpetuating the anxiety. Also, check whether your thyroid blood test is within normal limits and optimally controlled by Thyroxine 25 mcg.

|