Q. How to handle my frustration, negative thoughts and anger?

Dr. Ruhi Satija
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 15, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 17, 2020

I get frustrated even for very small things. I take too much stress before starting some work and thinking that it will not work and also my temper is becoming too high. Whenever I get angry I cannot control myself. Please help.

Dr. Ruhi Satija

Psychiatry
#

I can understand it must be really hard for you to be in this situation. What you are describing looks like an anxiety disorder. There is nervousness in starting anything new because the mind has negative thoughts which overwhelm you and make you feel it might not work out, and then the mind gets fixated on this pattern of negativity and you just cannot stop the overthinking which gives you stress. And long term stress produces aggression.

What you need is to start psychotherapy. Via counseling (psychotherapy, cognitive behavioral therapy) the therapist helps you find out where these thoughts are coming from and help you in changing these thoughts in and controlling them so that inside it is not produced in the first place.

Second part is anger management where you learn some techniques to control your temper and also via therapy you will be able to find out the source of your anger.

I would need to talk to you in detail to be able to find out why you are having these thoughts after I take a detailed psychiatry history and evaluation. You can find a local therapist or we can start therapy sessions online via video consultation. If the problem is severe which we will be able to find out after evaluation, we can decide whether or not you need medications.

| 

Can masturbation cause negative thoughts?

Query: Hello doctor, I masturbate daily. I have problem of negative thoughts and going through little depression. Some links says that it is due to masturbation. I am already taking homeopathic medicine for my depression. Please suggest some medicine for depression. I am taking homeopathy medicines for the...  Read Full »

What is the reason for having negative thoughts and vivid dreams?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is 56 years old. He is having negative thoughts and talks about deaths, has a vivid dream with severe sleepiness. He is not enjoying anything which he enjoyed before. He has short-term memory loss. He has fatigue with increased appetite. He has little issue in breathing during ...  Read Full »

How to Manage Anger?

Article Overview: We all are humans, and we all get angry at some point or the other, isn't it? Sometimes we get mad and impatient due to a lot of traffic due to which you get scolded by your boss for reaching late. Sometimes you might get angry on your close friend because of not meeting your expectations. But you know what? Anger can be managed and controlled, which can save your relationship with others. Read Article

Dr. Krystel Quadros

Following are specific anger management strategies that you must all follow: 1) Count from One to Ten Inside Your Mind: Yes, my dear friends, it is rightly said that counting forward and backward from one to ten when you are angry. By the time you start counting from one to ten, your heartbeat, wh...  Read Article