Q. May I know whether being disorganized and forgetting things easily mean ADD?

Dr. Vandana Patidar
Published on Aug 03, 2019

I have never done this kind of thing before so let me just start from the beginning. I am a female, 18 years old. I started ADD medication in 8th grade. Then I fell into depression and had severe anxiety which I believe the ADD medications had a big contribution to, so I went on antidepressants. I also had OCD at the time.

After a year of all the medicines, I went off all of them because I thought that they were ruining my life. Now I am entering the senior year of high school, and with all the applications I have to do for college, I really need to be able to focus.

Now, every time I take the medicine, my anxiety gets worse and I feel down, helpless, overwhelmed and unable to do anything I need to do, even though I am stressing out about it, like I am avoiding my fears. I did some research online and I saw an article saying how anxiety disorders can be mislabeled as ADD. I have always had a procrastination problem, not so much focusing. I am very disorganized, forget things easily, restless, etc., but can those symptoms be from an anxiety disorder?

I am notorious for not getting tasks completed simply because I am overwhelmed by the idea of it. I want to get them done, but my mind is so scared that it refuses to go near the subject. It seems like every time I take any kind of ADD medicine, my anxiety worsens, and so I cannot do anything like sit down and study. I am overall confused about if I have ADD, an anxiety disorder, or am just a lazy or emotionally weak person.

Dr. Vandana Patidar

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sleep Medicine
#

Yes, you are right. People misinterpret anxiety as ADD.

First thing is that anxiety disorders are much more common than ADD in the adult population. Adult ADD is usually the residual or continuation of childhood ADD. So, if you did not have childhood ADD then there is very less chance of you having ADD.

The restlessness of anxiety has a cognitive component in the form of frequent worries, apprehension, etc. So if there is a cognitive component as well then there is a chance of you having an anxiety disorder is more. A detailed diagnostic workup is essential to confirm the diagnosis. You should take a psychiatric consultation again.

| 

What is social anxiety disorder?

Query: Hello doctor, I am doing my post graduation in psychiatry, and I would like to clear my doubts about social anxiety disorder. I wanted to know about the most challenging and important things while dealing with someone with social anxiety disorder. From your experience, can you please tell me the bi...  Read Full »

How to control my son's behavioral problems?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is 5.5 years old with developmental delay, speech delay and poor motor skills. He is always hitting, biting and scratching other kids or me when he is upset for any reason. I do not know how to deal with this. I have tried many things, but nothing works. Also, he has a 9 year ...  Read Full »

I have BDD and anxiety disorder. Will my baby procure my illness?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30 year old married male. I suffered from BDD, general anxiety disorder, and major depressive disorder for the past 8 years. I take Fluoxetine 60 mg and Oxcarbazepine as a mood stabilizer. Things are in control now with little ups and downs. My main concern is that I am married ...  Read Full »