Q. I have BDD and anxiety disorder. Will my baby procure my illness?

Dr. Awadhesh P Singh Solanki
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 05, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 12, 2021

I am a 30 year old married male. I suffered from BDD, general anxiety disorder, and major depressive disorder for the past 8 years. I take Fluoxetine 60 mg and Oxcarbazepine as a mood stabilizer. Things are in control now with little ups and downs. My main concern is that I am married and should I have a baby or not? Is there any chance that my baby will procure my illness?

#

• You mentioned yourself as a male. So I do not think these medicines will affect you.
  • Fluoxetine is safe for a pregnant lady, but Oxcarbazepine should be avoided in pregnancy.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

I would like to rephrase my question. What are the chances that my baby will acquire depression and BDD while growing up?

#

Thank you for this query.

• Do not worry. Your child has only 10% chances, and it will depend on the stress and external environment.
  • I have seen some twins who are having 40% chances but living a disease free life, unlike their sibling twin. So, do not worry about your child.
  • Keep in mind that good lifestyle, light exercises, and stress-free life is the key to good mental health.

|