Q. Kindly tell a permanent cure for hypothyroidism.

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Published on Nov 10, 2018

My wife is having hypothyroidism. She is having the TSH level of 13 miu/l. We had consulted a doctor and after few tests, the doctor suggested to take Thyroxine 100 mcg everyday morning on empty stomach. How long she needs to take the medication? Is there a permanent cure for this?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

I just read your query about your wife and her thyroid function test results. Well, she does seem to have hypothyroidism. But her dose seems to be a bit higher. Anyways, you must usually take it according to your body weight or the TSH values. Try to repeat the same TSH after six weeks and then we can decide what is an appropriate dose for her. Yes, she has to take this medicine for life. This is not a major disease but very important gland which is not functioning properly. So we need to replace the hormones which are formed by this gland all her life. This has no side effects, so relax and continue her treatment regularly. No, there is no permanent cure for hypothyroidism. Just replacement of the hormones which are deficient.

Can hypothyroidism be cured with only ayurvedic medicines?

Query: Hello doctor, I would like to know if my hypothyroidism can be cured without taking the synthetic hormones, through Ayurveda only. In the allopathic approach, the hormone needs to be taken for the rest of one's life and I am a bit scared of it. It is possible I may also be diabetic and will need to ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Alka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query and saw all your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The thyroid gland makes thyroid hormones on a regular basis because it is necessary daily for metabolism and for other body functions. That is why when it is prescribed o...  Read Full

Do low TSH level and Low FT4 mean hyperthyroid?

Query: Dear Doctor, After my tubal pregnancy my thyroids started acting low TSH 0.11 0.21 0.26 and low FT4 0.81 0.82 0.79 .076. But did not visit the doctor yet. Is it hyperactivity thyroid? Give me any advice.  Read Full >>

Dr. (col) Rakesh Karanwal

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com.Low levels of both TSH and FT4 indicate that the problem is at Pituitary or Hypothalamus level and NOT Thyroid. Also, your thyroid is NOT hyperactive and your thyroids are apparently functioning normally. You will therefore require further evaluation to localize the site o...  Read Full

I am having intermittent palpitations. Is it due to hypothyroidism?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 28 years old. Experiencing intermittent palpitations from last three months. ECG, echo, TMT is normal. The lipid profile shows increased triglycerides in serum 189 mg/dl. Recently, I was diagnosed with subclinical hypothyroidism for which I am taking Levothyroxine from last one m...  Read Full >>

Dr. Salam Salloum

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please be advised that a normal ECG while you do not have the palpitation feeling, is not diagnostic of the palpitation. You need to have a cardiac monitor. If the palpitation happens every day, then a 24 hours cardiac monitor should pick them up. If they happen every 2...  Read Full

Ask an Endocrinologist Now