Q. Is there any aid to help my constant skin pricking habit due to anxiety and depression?

Dr. Ruhi Satija
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 17, 2020 and last reviewed on: Mar 26, 2020

This is a bit embarrassing. I am afraid of going to the doctor because I am embarrassed and ashamed. I have bad anxiety and social anxiety and depression. I pick at my skin constantly and I do it unknowingly and also when I am aware. I feel like I cannot help but I do it. And I do it mostly when I am having an anxiety attack. I also do it because I feel as if I need to pop everything on my body. And I am creating scars on my body and try to avoid looking in the mirror as much as I can because I do not want to do it to my face. What is wrong with me and how can I help myself? Is there anything I can get myself over the counter that I can take or put on my skin to help so maybe I would not have anything to constantly pick at?

Dr. Ruhi Satija

Psychiatry
#

I am so sorry to hear about your problem, I can understand it must be really difficult for you.

Anxiety has to be managed in two ways:

1. Medical management, you will require some medications if the problem is severe. I cannot prescribe them online because it needs complete evaluation and some blood test might also be required. So for that, you will have to see a local psychiatrist.

2. Therapy, psychotherapy is one of the most effective ways of controlling anxiety and depression. You need to understand the negative thought pattern which is causing the anxiety in the first place so that you can either stop them or at least not get affected by them. Cognitive behavioral therapy is one such tool.

As you have mentioned, that you are not comfortable with going to a doctor which is completely understandable, I would suggest to opt for online counseling sessions which are equally effective and works well for people who either have social anxiety or have difficulty traveling. The counseling sessions are done online once a week via video consultation.

Therapy and medication combined are the gold standards for the treatment of anxiety and depression. Apart from that take out some time every day and engage in some relaxing activities like deep breathing, meditation, progressive muscle relaxation, etc.

I can understand it is overwhelming when you have kids around and so much to do but it is important that you also take care of yourself and make yourself a priority too. Only if you are healthy you will be able to provide a healthy environment for the family. If you want to start with therapy sessions you can let me know.

| 

I have an anxiety problem from the past 10 years. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, Anxiety is every day of my life. I rarely get small breaks without anxiety. It has been 10 years now. Panic attacks do come. I am taking Xanax 0.5 mg 1 to 3 days. I am a 26 years old male, and my height and weight are 5.9" and 80 kg respectively. Please help.  Read Full »

How to overcome my self-harming behaviour?

Query: Hi doctor,I am suffering from self-harming behavior. Whenever I feel emotional, I am doing it without my knowledge. It happens all the time. I am very scared to go and meet a doctor, so I diced to come here. I am just confused. Please help.  Read Full »

Generalized Anxiety Disorder(GAD)

Article Overview: A 35-year-old woman came to me with a chief complaint of muscle tension. She stated that she has experienced a considerable amount of muscle tension her entire life, but it has become increasingly worse over the last 12 months. Read Article

The above mentioned patient is suffering from Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD). GAD can be defined as anxiety and worry about several events and activities for a majority of the day. The anxiety and worry of GAD differs from normal anxiety by its excessiveness, the difficu...  Read Article