Q. Are the lesions on the tip of my tongue canker sores or herpes?

Dr. Bharat Joshi
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 01, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 23, 2021

I am getting canker sores for the past two months. I am attaching the picture. I do not have anything on the lips or any other place on my tongue. It presents on the edge and head of the tongue. Before a day of getting this, I was trying to look inside my mouth using a spoon. I used the spoon to push my tongue down. Can I have herpes or bacterial infection? Sometimes I have a dry throat.

#

As per the picture, (attachment removed to protect patient identity) you seem to have canker sores. You can have it due to ingestion of hot foods or tongue bite. I think that you do not have a fever and so I rule out herpes. Please mention whether you have any drug allergy or any other associated symptoms so that I can give you a correct diagnosis and I can suggest you a treatment.

You have canker sores due to hot food ingestion or tongue bite.

You do not need investigations now.

You can have a nutrional deficiency.

You have canker sores.

You can take medications.

Maintain your oral hygiene.

Have a follow-up immediately to confirm the diagnosis and to start the treatment.

|