Q. Should I be concerned about pain and diarrhea post surgery?

Dr. Raghu
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 19, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 31, 2020

My 10 year old daughter had an appendectomy two days back. She was in horrible pain after that. They wished to send her home, but since the pain could not be controlled with Tylenol or Ibuprofen they decided to keep her in hospital. Then the next morning she had bad diarrhea. She went around 10 times in two hours. It concerned me, but they informed me that the diarrhea is normal. Her pain was still pretty bad, so they finally decided to try something stronger that we could take her home. It did work for three hours and they sent her home. By the time we got home, she was in horrible pain. She was crying most of the night until falling asleep. Yesterday, I noticed a lump on her back that was warm to touch and when I touched it she said that lump is the reason for her pain and it hurts her really bad. As I was concerned I called her doctor, but they said that they have no idea what I was talking about and they would like to check her in ER the next day. I know as a parent we over analyze everything. I did not to take her to the ER because of a muscle strain. Also, I do not want to over look something that could make her worse. What could the lump be? Should I be concerned? She still has fever and pain. Please help.

Dr. Raghu

General Surgery Surgical Oncology
#

• Having severe pain and diarrhea post surgery is a point of concern. From your description, there are two possibilities.
  • Firstly, it may be a complication from surgery which needs to be clinically examined by the operating surgeon, evaluated and managed accordingly.
  • Secondly, it may also be a missed diagnosis. As per your description there may be an abscess in the psoas muscle. But, this cannot be concluded from the limited information I have and without clinical examination.
  • Ultrasound or CT scan would be necessary to make a diagnosis of it if suspected.
  • Kindly get her evaluated by the operating surgeon or any general surgeon. The symptoms you describe are not to be taken lightly. All the best.

For further information consult a paediatric surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatric-surgeon

| 

Can the lower abdomen pain be due to ovulation?

Query: Hello doctor, For the past two days, I am feeling a mild pain on my lower abdomen and having a feeling that my bowels are not getting cleared. I had my last period about two months back. My periods have become irregular since then. Last month, I got examined and was detected having a uterine fibroid...  Read Full »

Ask a Paediatric Surgeon Now