Q. My 2-year-old is only 11. 4 kg with low appetite. Should I give supplement to increase his appetite?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

My 2 years old son is only 11.4 kg. He has a low appetite when it comes to eating solid food, he drinks 6oz of milk every morning, after lunch, and before going to bed, he is taking vitamin C and Cherifer Immunomax daily. I often forgot to let him drink his multivitamin Nutri 10 plus. Since he is 2 years and 2 months old, what is the exact amount (ml) of vitamin that he should take? Can you please recommend any vitamins that would help my son to have appetite especially when it comes to solid food? He eats biscuit that is less sweet and he like fruits like banana, apple, and grapes.

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
#

Please note that the weight of the child mentioned is in acceptable limits. Do not unnecessarily give so many things. As per your description, it seems that the child is consuming more of milk mainly and also these multivitamins. Both of them lead to constipation and low appetite. My advice to you would be to half the consumption of milk (by more dilution in water) and stop taking so many supplements. Instead, increase the water intake of the child and make the child sit with you to eat. Let the child pick up whatever he wants. In due course, the child will consume mostly solid food and less of milk if this schedule is followed.

|