Q. I am 23 years old and weighs about 36 kg with slim body. Please help to gain weight.

Dr. Theresa M. Gregory
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 06, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 09, 2019

I am a 23-year-old male. My height is 165 cm and weighs about 36 kg. I am weak and my body is very slim and thin. Please help me to gain weight.

#

It would be a good idea to have a complete physical checkup with your family doctor to determine if there are any medical reasons for your slight build and to make sure there are not unknown causes.

If you feel that you are weak and want to gain weight and build muscle strength, it is important to eat balanced, healthful meals with extra protein and carbohydrates. You should eat three regular meals daily, increasing your portion size.

Sources of Protein:

1. Meat or fish if you are not vegetarian.

2. Legumes, such as chickpeas, beans, and lentils.

3. Dairy products such as whole fat cheese, whole milk, yogurt, and ice cream.

4. Protein powder such as whey or rice protein stirred into a smoothie.

Carbohydrates: (whole grains are always healthier).

1. Pasta.

2. Rice.

3. Bread.

4. Potatoes.

Some people like to take a high-calorie drink like Ensure every day, but I advise my patients not to take this route. It is much better to gain weight from a healthy diet with whole foods. Make sure you also eat plenty of fruits and vegetables for your general health.

It would be advisable to do regular exercises such as strength training to build your muscle mass, in addition to walking every day.

When I was younger, I also struggled with being too thin. Becoming healthier and following these guidelines is actually what enabled me to be able to gain strength and muscle. If you follow these suggestions, I am sure you will look stronger, and not nearly so thin. It takes time and persistence to make these changes to your body. But it is worth the benefits in terms of how you will feel and look in a few months.

|