Q. Is my anxiety problem causing an irregular heartbeat?

Dr. Arpit Varshney

I have been experiencing an irregular heartbeat for about a month. It is happening every day now. It occasionally occurs throughout the day, sometimes a couple of times. I also had a similar issue before, but it never lasted this long, so I am getting worried.

Additionally, I would mention that I also suffer from a heartburn problem. But I have had that problem. Sometimes, I suffer from anxiety but not under any current medication.

I use Nicotine vapes often and also consume alcohol.

#

The skipping of beats is suggestive of arrhythmia. The best way to evaluate them is to get an ECG (Electrocardiography) done. If there is some abnormality, it can be treated easily with medications. There is nothing to worry about. If ECG shows such abnormalities, you must get Holter and 2D Echocardiography done. However, I would like you to stop nicotine and alcohol immediately. Alcohol and nicotine are commonly known to cause heart arrhythmias. Alcohol causing the arrhythmia is known as holiday heart syndrome. You should now visit your doctor and get these tests done. If the reports are normal, it is anxiety, and anti-anxiety drugs will help you.

Wish you good health.

Hope this helps.

Kindly revert in case of further queries.

|