Q. How can arthritis be confirmed?

Dr. Naval Mendiratta
Published on Mar 15, 2018

Kindly confirm if I am arthritic from the available reports.

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatology
#

Could you provide me with some of your symptoms?

I have gone through your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your inflammation markers are very high (erythrocyte sedimentation rate and C-reactive protein). So, it does indicate either there is an infection or inflammation. I need more history to confirm it.

Your arthritis tests are negative, but then again we can have arthritis even when the rheumatoid factor, anti-cyclic citrullinated peptide, and anti-nuclear antibody are negative.

Provide me with the medical history and I will be able to guide you better.

For more information consult a rheumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/rheumatologist

I have pain and swelling in the knees and ankle for the past three weeks. I am taking medication for asthma, blood pressure and cholesterol for the past seven years (prescription attached).

Dr. Naval Mendiratta

Rheumatology
#

It does look like some form of arthritis is involving your lower limb joints, knees, and ankles with high inflammatory markers (erythrocyte sedimentation rate and C-reactive protein).

I would suggest you start tablet Nucoxia (Etoricoxib) 90 mg once daily. Consult a specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent. Consult a rheumatologist as you may need to start your medications as early as possible. It is tough to say how long you will need to take the medicines as we need to see which form of arthritis you fit into.

• HLA B27 ( human leukocyte antigen B27) (polymerase chain reaction method).

Probable cause:

• Spondyloarthropathy.

• Avoid sitting on the floor in cross-legged position.

I am HLA-B27 positive with vitamin D deficiency and back pain. Will it affect my marriage life?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 29 year old female. I got married recently. I am HLA-B27 positive patient with vitamin D deficiency (less than 8%). These days, I am suffering from severe back and shoulder pain. Sometimes, there is a hip joint pain, and I am not able to sleep at night. Rarely, the pain remains...  Read Full »

I am having pain in spine, upper back and numbness in fingers. Kindly advice.

Query: Hello doctor, I am having pain in the spine and upper back, light knee pain and lot of numbness in fingers. I have arthritis condition for nearly two years. Had initial knee injury in ligaments through bed corner hit. Had once the high pain in the knee subsided thereafter. The condition is mainly b...  Read Full »

Do Not Ignore Arthritis Symptoms!!

Article Overview: This article stresses upon the fact that, when signs of arthritis appear, one should approach a doctor as early as possible for appropriate treatment. Read Article

Dr. Naval Mendiratta
Rheumatologist

Inflammatory arthritis is a common problem in females between the age group 20-50 years. It is characterized by swelling of the joints, early morning stiffness and pain which is constant and little relieved by work and use of painkillers. It is an autoimmune condition, i.e, body's immune system st...  Read Article

Ask a Rheumatologist Now