Q. The patient has ascites along with chest pain. How to identify the cause?

Dr. Arbab Muhammad Kashif Khan
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

The patient is 33 years old, who is 5.5 feet tall and whose weight is 60 kg. She had been admitted for stomach pain. She has ascites in the stomach, and it was removed, and more ascites are still there in the stomach. She has chest pain, and the full left part of the body is painful. The food pipe is painful, and she has a burning sensation. The CT scan of her whole abdomen was also done.

#

Your main problem is ascites, which are leading towards gastro-esophageal reflux. But the cause of ascites here could not be known. The most typical cause of ascites is cirrhosis (due to alcohol, hepatitis B, and C), but the liver is normal on ultrasound. There are also some other causes of ascites.

We have to do work up for ascites. Please do the following investigation as early as possible and answer a few of my questions.

1. Do you have a history of alcohol intake. If yes, then how much in a week?

2. Since when you have developed this problem?

3. Have you lost any weight in the last six months. If yes, then how much?

4. Do you have any history of viral hepatitis?

5. Do you have any tuberculosis patients in close contact?

6. Do you have any history of pregnancy in recent days?

7. Do you have any history of deep vein thrombosis?

HBsAg (hepatitis B virus surface antigen) by ELISA (Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay).
HBcAb (hepatitis B core antibody).
Anti HCV (hepatitis C virus) by ELISA.
Liver biochemical tests.
Ascitic fluid routine examination and Cytology).
Serum Albumin Ascites Gradient (SAAG).
Ascitic fluid adenosine deaminase levels (ADA).

Capsule Omeprazole 40 mg once daily 30 minutes before breakfast.
Syrup Gaviscon (Aluminum hydroxide and Magnesium Carbonate) two tablespoon after meals thrice a day.

After doing advised investigations.

| 

Why is there mild chest pain although it is not a heart attack?

Query: Hello doctor, My mom had chest pain yesterday evening at 3 PM. It was mild pain on the left side. Today morning she also had mild pain three times. I had contacted a cardiologist yesterday. He asked me to perform an ECG test. After seeing the ECG report, he said there is little issue in ECG line. T...  Read Full »

Chest pain since 15 days. ECG & TMT reports are normal. What could be the problem?

Query: Hello Doctor, I am having chest pain since 15 days. My ECG & TMT reports are negative. But still I am suffering with the pain. Please suggest me the appropriate treatment.  Read Full »

Is Quinine safe in liver cirrhosis patient with low platelets?

Query: Hello doctor,My husband has an advanced stage liver cirrhosis and gets muscle cramps in legs from time to time, at night time or when he wakes up in the morning. Other patients with similar issues recommend drinking tonic water that contains Quinine or taking Calcium Magnesium supplements. He has ve...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»