HomeAnswersMedical GastroenterologycirrhosisMy husband gets leg muscle cramps. Please advise.

Is Quinine safe in liver cirrhosis patients?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Answered by

Dr. Noushif. M

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At June 12, 2018
Reviewed AtApril 23, 2024

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

My husband has an advanced stage liver cirrhosis and gets muscle cramps in legs from time to time, at night time or when he wakes up in the morning. Other patients with similar issues recommend drinking tonic water that contains Quinine or taking Calcium Magnesium supplements. He has very low platelet count so is not Quinine dangerous for him? What supplement will you recommend against muscle cramps and in what quantities? Currently, I am taking Propranolol 40 mg and Omeprazole 40 mg daily.

Answered by Dr. Noushif. M


Welcome to icliniq.com.

Cramps happen in cirrhotics due to nutritional insufficiency, mineral deficiency, mainly calcium and magnesium. My suggestions would be:

  1. Calcerol sachet (Vitamin D3 60000) once weekly for six weeks.
  2. Tablet Magnical (Magnesium with Calcium) twice daily for a month to be taken with food.
  3. Have a high protein diet.
  4. Hepapro powder (liver-specific protein powder) two scoops three times a day.
  5. Tablet Zincovit (carbohydrate, Biotin, Copper, etc.) once daily for a month.

The brands vary from place to place. But vitamin and mineral supplements are a must. Do consider this and update if any issues or concerns.

For more information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

Thank you very much for your answer. Instead of Hepa pro, can I take Fresubin Hepa? Do you think it is a good substitute?

Answered by Dr. Noushif. M


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

Fresubin Hepa will be fine.

For more information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Noushif. M
Dr. Noushif. M

Surgical Gastroenterology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Medical Gastroenterology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy