Q. Do I have to stop taking ashwagandha before a surgery?Will it interact with anesthesia?

Dr. Vivek Chail
Published on Aug 25, 2015 and last reviewed on: Aug 22, 2019

I am scheduled for sinus surgery day after tomorrow. I have been given a list of medications which should not be taken and I have followed that.

However, I have been taking ashwagandha (herb supplement 470 mg once a day) to help with anxiety. I read online that this may interfere with anesthesia. I will be sure to mention this to the anesthesiologist on the day of surgery when I arrive, but I am curious if this is a cause for concern beyond just letting them know, or should I postpone surgery. I last took it yesterday night and will not take it again prior to surgery. Please advice.

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiodiagnosis Radiology
#

Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read through your query in detail. Please find my observations below. 1. Ashwagandha or Indian ginseng is a well known ayurvedic herbal medicine. 2. The following constitute its important effects on the human body:

• It causes increase in energy levels.
  • It might interact with monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOI) and can cause manic episodes in patients.
  • It might be used as an aphrodisiac (to stimulate sexual desire) and for anti-aging.
  • In some people it might cause irritability, insomnia (sleeplessness), hypoglycemia (low blood sugar level), hypertension, skin rashes and nervousness.
  • It causes tachycardia (increased heart rate) and hypertension, particularly in those patients who are on other stimulants or have a cardiovascular disease.
  • It interacts with oral anticoagulants, antiplatelet agents, corticosteroids and hypoglycemic agents.

3. Taking ashwagandha before surgery might predispose the patient to perioperative bleeding. It may be a concern for complications during anesthesia.

In conclusion, it is suggested that ashwagandha has to be stopped for a week before a planned surgery, unless such a surgery is very urgent to be performed or when the benefits outweigh the risks involved. Please have a discussion with your doctor and reschedule your surgery by a week if recommended.

Revert back to an anesthesiologist online for further clarifications --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/anesthesiologist

Can masturbation cause tickling sensation in my penis?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a tickling sensation in my penis. I showed to urologists online and they said it will get fine soon. There was no need to take medicines as they said it happened due to continuous and vigorous masturbation. This has been there for the last six months. This triggers my mind as t...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This can happen as a result of anxiety that excessive masturbation can cause. Now the treatment I would suggest is to start with capsule Neurokind-Gold (Ginseng extract, multivitamins, multimineral, and antioxidants) once daily for a month and tablet Amitriptyline 1...  Read Full

We were not successful in sex even three years after marriage. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor,We have been married for three years but till now we did not have successful sex. When my husband tries to insert, I get so scared and never allowed him to penetrate. Even though we tried from different positions, it still does not work. He is very understanding. We only enjoy foreplay....  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your problem and understand your concern. The drugs you are currently taking is quite helpful in some cases and not in few cases. From the description provided, it appears that because of one or other reason you never actually allowed your husband...  Read Full

Ask an Anesthesiologist Now