Q. I had brief chest pain and yellowish mucus after getting water into the wrong hole. Kindly help.

Dr. Nagaraj Patil

Yesterday, I got "water in the wrong hole," coughed a bit, and felt fine again. Later at night, I had brief chest pain. Today morning after going to the toilet, I coughed up some yellow-colored mucus. I do not have a fever, my pulse is around 55 to 60 (lower than usual), and my SpO2 is 97%.

Kindly help.

#

I can understand your concerns.

I do not think chest pain is anything related to this episode. Coughing after something gets into the trachea (air pipe) is a protective mechanism to protect the lungs. Even if it is connected, the reason could be muscle straining due to sudden intense coughing.

I do not think the situation is anything of concern now, as you do not have fever, cough, and oxygen saturation is also normal. Some people will have a low heart rate, like what you mentioned. This is usually seen in athletes and people who run long distances regularly. It is suitable for the heart unless nothing else is causing low heart rates.

I would suggest observing for the next 48 to 72 hours for fevers, chest pain, cough, brownish mucoid sputum. If you find any of these, kindly consult your doctor for evaluation. It could be pneumonia and can be treated with appropriate medications.

Take care.

|