Q. Will I be fine after aspirating a small piece of cinnamon while drinking water?

Dr. Sugreev Singh

I accidentally breathed in cinnamon. I put it in water, and when I went to drink, I inhaled some through my mouth. Will I be fine?

I coughed only a little bit, and I do not have any breathing issues now. But I worry about it getting to my lungs.

Kindly help.

#

Thank you for writing, and I understand your concern.

Do not worry, and it will not cause any severe side effects to the lungs. Because it does not contain any harmful substance or chemical, lung injuries or any other reaction is impossible. For prevention, I suggest taking tablet Levocetirizine 10 mg once before sleeping for three days.

Did you inhale a large quantity?

Do you have a dry cough or productive cough (cough with phlegm)?

Thanks for the reply.

It was not a large quantity, and I do have some phlegm. I am scared of particles getting into my lungs and causing a lung infection.

Thanks.

#

Welcome back to icliniq.com

Food particles do not enter our lungs as the vocal cord protects our airways. It is just irritation in the throat caused by allergies due to cinnamon, and a slight cough can also be due to the same reason. For cough, I suggest you take syrup Bromhexine 3 ml twice a day and Levocetirizine, as I mentioned already. Take this treatment for three days and let me know afterward.

Please do not drink cold water or drinks for three days.

|