Q. I have astheno-teratozoospermia. Can I become a father naturally?

Dr. Reetika Joshi

I am a 28-years-old male with a height of 173 cm and a weight of 84.5 kgs. I am trying for a baby for the past nine months. I recently did sperm analysis, and the impression is astheno-teratozoospermia. Can you please confirm for me if I can become a father naturally or not? The test report values are as follows:

Sperm count: 41 million per ml of semen.

Total sperm count: 184 million.

Progrssive motility: 21 %.

Non-progressive motility: 10 %.

Vitality: 64 %.

Normal morphology: 1 %.

#

I fully understand your concern and will surely help you. I have gone through the report shared by you. Many things affect the fertility aspects of a couple. Firstly stay safe from COVID-19 and the related stress.

Your report is good for the sperm count, but motility is not good and hence astheno-teratozoospermia. Also, morphology is less. Kindly share any previous reports of the same test.

I can see your weight is slightly on the higher side, and if you smoke, please abstain. Eat well and stay healthy.

The present report requires improvement. However, since you are only 28 years old, maybe we can observe for some time before coming to any conclusions. Therefore, please share the age of your wife and if she has also got any tests done.

Do not worry; things will be fine.

Feel free to ask any questions or to share any additional information.

Thank you doctor for the insight.

I do not smoke at all, and I have stopped alcohol also for the past seven to eight months. My wife is also 28 years old and has regular cycles. Neither my wife nor I am not on any medication.

As I have mentioned, it has been nine months of trying, and each time the disappointment is hard to handle. So that is why I went and did this sperm analysis. This is my first time doing this test. My wife has not done any tests so far.

I found that I need to start some medication to become a father naturally with this condition online. If that is the case, I do not want to delay.

Please guide me for the next stages of action.

#

Since you guys have been trying for nine months, and the classical definition goes for infertility, if a couple tries for a year. Also, it is a COVID situation, so I will recommend that you guys have frequent intercourse around your wife's ovulation. Then, she can start with folic acid and multivitamin tablets.

Kindly share her menstrual history or ovulation tracking if she uses any app for my assessment. At this stage, since you have quit drinking and also if you reduce weight, we can observe for few months about the progress to find if the infertility treatment is avoidable.

Let us have faith and hope that things will be fine.

Do not worry. I am always there to help you.

Stay stress-free.

|