Q. Will IVF help in avoiding chromosomal abnormality in future pregnancy?

Published on Jan 03, 2020

I am 38 years old and my wife is 36 years old. We are married for the last two years and trying for a baby for the last one year almost.

By our gynecologist advise we underwent an IUI cycle which resulted in missed abortion at seven weeks due to no growth of fetus after five weeks.

D & C done and karyotype of abortion showed a chromosomal abnormality. Remarks as below:

Aborted fetus karyotype, 69, XXX G-banded metaphase shows triploidy.

Wife's condition:

a) Age: 36 years no issue yet.

b) Has a subserous uterus fibroid of size 68 x 62 mm and bulky uterus.

c) Had thyroid and she takes Thyroxin 50 mg every day. Last TSH is 1.48.

d) Sugar is under control and TBC is normal.

e) In childhood she had one occurrence of epilepsy.

Husband's condition:

a) Age: 38 years.

b) Nonsmoker and non-drinker.

c) semen analysis result is normal (normal fertile specimen).

d) Shaving a bit high uric acid in the last one year (under medicine).

Karyotyping results of partners:

Husband: 46, XY G banded metaphase shows normal karyotype.

Wife: 46, XX high frequency of G-banded metaphase shows telomeric association of chromosomes 1, 3, 16 & X.

My questions are is it possible that after fibroid removal she can conceive a baby in a normal way? Can there be any bad effect on baby's health (physical and mental) due to the DNA abnormality found in her report?

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

1. As far as the subserous nature of the fibroid is concerned which is around 7cm x 6 cm, it per se is not going to have an effect or cause hindrance in conception but it is likely that it can cause problems during the pregnancy and in the late third trimester due to abdominal pain. So, it is advisable that it should be removed anyways as the size is a concern here and can cause incoordinate uterine contractions during labor later and also chances are that it would further grow under estrogen effect. Hence better get it removed.

2. As the fetus showed triploidy XXX G banded metaphase, which as per the mother's report, she has high chances of replication of similar results in future pregnancies as well which may not be compatible with life and likely missed abortions may occur in future. Hence, it is suggested that both of you should try for an IVF (in vitro fertilization) with ovum and sperm harvesting and in vitro fertilization of the egg by your sperm and subjecting the embryos to preimplantation genetic screening with FISH (fluorescence in situ hybridization) technique or PCR (polymerase chain reaction) or comparative genomic hybridization (CGH), before selecting the embryo for transplanting into the uterus.

Though the frequency of G banded metaphase telomeric association is high for 1, 3, 16 and X chromosome, the chances of the fetus getting triploidy are very high. Another best option for you as a couple would be to opt for a donor egg from another woman which can be fertilized in vitro by your sperm and then the embryo after pre implantation genetic screening can be implanted in your wife's womb to improve the chances of having a healthy conception.

| 

Can tubal blockage cause infertility?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 33 years old. For the past six months I am suffering from primary infertility, PCOS and diagnostic laparoscopy tubal block at right isthmus. Also, laboratory tests like Mantoux (positive), HBsAg (positive), ANA (positive) and LFT raised tests are done. The IUI done twice and my curr...  Read Full »

What are the treatment options for an intramural fibroid?

Query: Hi doctor, We are trying for IVF to conceive. We have frozen our embryos and have planned for embryo transfer this month, that is on the 14th day of my wife's menstrual cycle. In the scan, everything looks normal, the endometrial thickness was 9.7 mm and had good blood flow. Today when we went for ...  Read Full »

What are my options after failed IVF?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 36 year old married female. I got married five years back and we have no child. I started my fertility treatment four years ago. At first, I was treated for ectopic pregnancy and my right fallopian tube was removed. Again, I was diagnosed with tuberculosis and was treated for s...  Read Full »

Ask an Infertility Specialist Now