Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. What are the tests urologist may order for low testosterone?

Answered by
Dr. Shahil Khant
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 07, 2017

Hi doctor,

We are planning for a baby, but there is low sex drive. I am having sex twice in a month. I feel fatigue, stress and low energy. In my job, I am standing for almost 10 hours a day. After a routine checkup, we went to for IVF. They ordered my semen analysis and my doctor referred me to the urologist. I do not know the reason. Can you please let me know the reason and the type of tests the urologist may order. I am taking testosterone shots from last two months as my testosterone levels are very low, total testosterone 225.2 ng/dL and free testosterone direct 5.9 pg/mL. Please explain my semen analysis report, which I have attached here for your reference. 

Dr. Shahil Khant

Andrology General Surgery Urology


Welcome to

I have seen all the reports sent by you (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

  • Since how many months you are planning for a baby?
  • All your reports are fine except two things. Your serum testosterone is on the lower side and the semen analysis shows that your sperm count is less.
  • You have 5 million per mL. Normally, it should be above 50 million per mL. Also, sperm motility is less in your semen analysis.
  • The above reports suggest that your testes are not working properly as you have low testosterone and abnormal sperm parameters. The above factors may give problem in conceiving.
  • Now, we need to find the cause of your low sperm count and testosterone. For that, a urologist will examine you physically to look for the cause of your malfunction of testes.
  • He will also advise ultrasound of scrotum with color Doppler. It will determine the size of the testes and any other problems like varicocele, etc.
  • He will also advise some more blood tests like serum FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) and serum LH (luteinizing hormone) to see if it is primary or secondary testicular failure.

Revert with the answer to the above question to an andrologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Thank you doctor,

We have been married for 3 years and we did not plan before. We just started around six months ago. I am taking testosterone shots. Which medicine should I take to increase sperm count?

Dr. Shahil Khant

Andrology General Surgery Urology


Welcome back to

  • I think before you should go for extensive evaluation and treatment you should try for six months more. We usually wait for one year before starting any invasive treatment.
  • Infertility is defined as failure to conceive after one year of repeated trying. I suggest you can get a basic evaluation and do not go for any invasive (surgical) treatment if required.
  • Get yourself evaluated and start medical treatment, but the improvement of sperm count cannot be commented.
  • Also, we do not find any reason for your low sperm count. You need to undergo ART (assisted reproductive technology). In that, we take good sperms if available from your semen or surgically we take good sperms from your testes and inject them in your partner.
  • ART will be done by a gynecologist and it may require two or three cycles. It will not be done in a month.
  • At present, I suggest you get basic tests, evaluation and start with medical management.
  • I also suggest you tablet containing a combination of Carnitine, Coenzyme Q10 and Zinc thrice daily. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take treatment with consent.

For further information consult an andrologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Will IUI treatment work for me?
Dr.C Sharath Kumar
Is surgery necessary in treating varicocele?
Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

How to increase sperm count?

Query: Hi doctor, My sperm count is low; it has dropped from 18 million to 3 million within a period of five months time. I have been diagnosed with bilateral varicocele. I have consulted three urologists. The first doctor advised me to go for ART (artificial reproductive technology) second one prescribed...  Read Full »

Trying to Get Pregnant? Infertility Treatments Explained.

Article Overview: Infertility is when a couple is unable to conceive after 12 months of regular sexual relationships without protection. If the patient is more than 35 years old, then infertility treatment is started earlier. Read the article to know more. Read Article

Dr. Gowrimeena
Infertility Specialist

Infertility is a condition where the couple is unable to conceive after 12 months of regular sexual relationship without birth control. In some cases we do not wait for this 12 month period to start investigating eg if the patient’s age is 35 or more, patient has irregular menstrual cycles, P...  Read Article

Please suggest Siddha medicine for testicular pain and low sperm count.

Query: Hello doctor, I have testicle pain on both sides (more pain felt on the right side). Sperm count is also low. What to do?  Read Full »

Also Read

Can naked body to body massage spread HIV?
Hello doctor, I recently had some business trip during which I had some naked body to body massage wherein massager vag...  Read more»
Are COVID-19 Patients Infectious for up to 90 Days After Recovery?
There have been reports of recovered COVID-19 patients getting reinfected and testing positive for almost 3 months. Read...  Read more»
Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Andrologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.