Q. I have asthma, and breathing through the nose is hard. Do I need to use a nebulizer?

Dr. Sugreev Singh
and medically reviewed by Dr. Chithranjali Ravichandran

I am a 23-year-old female. My height is 167 cm, and my weight is 50 kg. I have asthma, and I am using Symbicort Rapihaler for my maintenance (two times a day) and emergency inhalation. I have recently been feeling more tired than usual, and I have chest and back pain. I also have dry cough from time to time, and it hurts to cough sometimes. Breathing through my nose is hard because it feels like it is plugged. I have an on and off fever of around 37.5°C, which only happens during nighttime. The inhaler does not seem to work this time. Do I need to use a nebulizer?

#

Thank you for writing, and I understand your concern.

Yes, in such a case, you can use a nebulizer. You can use a nebulizer with Symbicort. It will help you more, and I can see according to your symptoms, it seems that you have got a common infection as well. So you have to start antibiotics as well. Can you please tell me:

Are you taking any other medicine apart from the inhaler?

Are you allergic to any antibiotics?

Allergies.

CBC (complete blood count) with ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), chest X-ray.

Respiratory infection.

Asthma.

Tablet Cetirizine 10 mg once a day after meal.
Tablet Paracetamol 500 mg once after meal (if you have fever) for five days.

Drink more fluids, avoid dust and polluted areas.

Thank you so much for your answer.

Aside from the inhaler, I just take Vitamin C. I am not allergic to any antibiotics, but does that mean I have to go and get some lab tests done? I opted to consult online because I am afraid that I might contract COVID if I go out, especially that hospitals here in my country reached almost full capacity with patients.

#

Thank you for the quick reply.

No, you do not have to go to any lab for a test.

I just asked because some people might be allergic to antibiotics.

So I would suggest you take:

Take tablet Augmentin 625 mg three times a day after meal for five days. And continue Cetirizine and Paracetamol as I prescribed above. Apart from that, continue your Vitamin C and inhaler as well. Please let me know after five days. If it continues, then we will go for further treatment. If anything else, you can message me any time. And I would suggest you stay away from dust and pollens because asthma is triggered by allergies only, so if you avoid them, then you will have fewer symptoms. While cleaning houses and beds, use a mask because there is a lot of dust that triggers asthma. Use fresh bed sheets.

If anything, let me know.

|