Q. My 9-year-old daughter has asthma with bad hacking cough after smoking. How to help?

Dr. Prakash Nagar
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 16, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 09, 2021

My nine-old daughter is having a bad hacking cough for a week. She has asthma and a slight heart murmur. She has a habit of smoking for two years. She is spitting a lot of phlegm. She is using inhalers. What to do?

# Hi,

I understand your concern. Your daughter has a habit of smoking at an early state. She needs to stop it to have relief from cough. No one should smoke inside her room or close to her. Please mention whether she gets cough frequently during night time. Please mention whether any of your family member is having asthma. Please mention the inhalers taken. Please mention whether she has done ECHO (echocardiogram) for murmur. If yes, then kindly share the reports. For now, she can take syrup Lorin 5 ml (Loratadine) once daily for five days, and Salbutamol nebulizer solution 0.5 ml mixed with 2 ml of normal saline. She needs to use Nebulizer every six hours for three days.

|