Q. My son is suffering from asthma. He is using asthalin inhaler. Do you suggest any other medicines?

Answered by
Dr. Anshul Varshney
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 12, 2017 and last reviewed on: Feb 10, 2021

Hello doctor,

  • My son is 13 years old. We are based in Greater Noida which is in the outskirts of Delhi.
  • Since he was five years old he as been suffering from asthma whenever there is season change during March/April and October during which he generally starts getting allergic cold
  • I used to earlier give him Asthalin inhaler but since last 4-5 years he is using Levolin inhaler to resolve the attack. 
  • Lately I have started nebulizing him at home using 0.63mg Levolin respule morning and evening and inhaler several times during the day.
  • I have also started giving 0.5mg Budecort respule along with that recently, as his asthma is not coming under control for the last almost 1.5 weeks now.
  • He wakes up in the middle of the night after 2 hours of nebulization and complains of feeling breathless and needs to take multiple puffs using the inhaler, sometimes much more than the prescibed dose as mentioned in the medicine leaflet.
  • I have being trying to get him to inhale steam as well as that gives him temporary relief.
  • He is really breathless when he wakes up at 6:00 in the morning and even had to miss school 2 days last week.
  • I need your help to advice me on the right dosage of inhaler and nebulization to get the asthma attack under control.
  • Do you suggest any other medicines? I definitely would want to avoid oral steroids or any strong medicines.


Welcome to

It seems your son is suffering from bronchial asthma. It is known to aggravate with seasonal changes.

You need to understand that by nebulizing him regularly, he will get dependent on nebulizers.

In my opinion, he should be nebulized with the doses you are already doing only in case of acute attack.

  • You can also add oral Doxofylline 400mg twice a day for a better response.
  • He might also require antibiotics like Augmentin for a short course.
  • Add a combination of Levocetirizine and Montelukast to him.
  • I also prescribe to my patients bronchodilator syrups like Bromohexine.

Once the acute attack settles, which usually takes 5-7 days, he should be weaned off nebulizers.

  • He should be given Rotahalers like Formonide 400 twice a day.
  • And anti-histaminics like Levocetrzine should continue.
  • If he is asymptomatic, you should reduce the dosage of Formonide to once a day.
  • You should share my opinion with your treating doctor before you act upon it.

Revert back to a pulmonologist online for further follow up -->

Hi doctor,

I did consult a doctor and he has prescribed the following. I need your help on some points. Levolin 0.63 mg and Budecort 1 mg nebulization morning evening for 3 days. Montair LC - 10 mg every evening for 2 days. Allegra 120 once daily. Nasal sprays - Otrinoz, three times daily, Metaspray 2 times daily and Ambrolite levo 5 ml 5 times daily 2 days seems very high dosage. He has not prescribed any antibiotics. I am not sure why? I think this is a very high dose for 13 years old. What is your advice?



Welcome back to

  • I really cannot comment on any doctor's prescription.
  • But yes, I also find the dose is quite high. Mention me his weight and current status for a better help.

Revert back with the anthropometric details to a pulmonologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Is asthma permanently curable?

.. son is premature, it does not matter with the present illness. Let me first clear you that he is suffering from bronchial asthma. And anyone can have asthma without any family history. So, it is not necessary to be always run in families. To conf...   Read full

Please help with my allergic reaction to cherries.

.. an allergic reaction and there is no need to worry. I suggest antihistamines and tablet Montek-LC containing Montelukast with Levocetirizine. I also suggest antacids along with that. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medici...   Read full

Why am I having breathing problems accompanied by warmth in the body?

Hello doctor, I am having problem in breathing sometimes and the body gets warm ... You need to have a healthy lifestyle, low fat, oily, calorie diet for the same along with regular exercises li...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

What You Should Eat and Drink for A Healthy Life!!
Food is essential for our survival, and what we eat definitely impacts our health. We can easily reduce the risk of many...  Read more»
What Is ADHD and How Is It Managed?
This article discusses ADHD, whether it is a real condition, features of ADHD, how to recognize and manage this common c...  Read more»
Does a cold sore indicate cervical cancer?
Hi doctor,Can a cold sore virus cause cervical cancer? I never had sex before, but I have caught a cold sore from one of...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Pulmonologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.