Q. My son is suffering from asthma. He is using asthalin inhaler. Do you suggest any other medicines?

This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 12, 2017 and last reviewed on: Feb 10, 2021

• My son is 13 years old. We are based in Greater Noida which is in the outskirts of Delhi.
  • Since he was five years old he as been suffering from asthma whenever there is season change during March/April and October during which he generally starts getting allergic cold
  • I used to earlier give him Asthalin inhaler but since last 4-5 years he is using Levolin inhaler to resolve the attack. 
  • Lately I have started nebulizing him at home using 0.63mg Levolin respule morning and evening and inhaler several times during the day.
  • I have also started giving 0.5mg Budecort respule along with that recently, as his asthma is not coming under control for the last almost 1.5 weeks now.
  • He wakes up in the middle of the night after 2 hours of nebulization and complains of feeling breathless and needs to take multiple puffs using the inhaler, sometimes much more than the prescibed dose as mentioned in the medicine leaflet.
  • I have being trying to get him to inhale steam as well as that gives him temporary relief.
  • He is really breathless when he wakes up at 6:00 in the morning and even had to miss school 2 days last week.
  • I need your help to advice me on the right dosage of inhaler and nebulization to get the asthma attack under control.
  • Do you suggest any other medicines? I definitely would want to avoid oral steroids or any strong medicines.
#

It seems your son is suffering from bronchial asthma. It is known to aggravate with seasonal changes.

You need to understand that by nebulizing him regularly, he will get dependent on nebulizers.

In my opinion, he should be nebulized with the doses you are already doing only in case of acute attack.

• You can also add oral Doxofylline 400mg twice a day for a better response.
  • He might also require antibiotics like Augmentin for a short course.
  • Add a combination of Levocetirizine and Montelukast to him.
  • I also prescribe to my patients bronchodilator syrups like Bromohexine.

Once the acute attack settles, which usually takes 5-7 days, he should be weaned off nebulizers.

• He should be given Rotahalers like Formonide 400 twice a day.
  • And anti-histaminics like Levocetrzine should continue.
  • If he is asymptomatic, you should reduce the dosage of Formonide to once a day.
  • You should share my opinion with your treating doctor before you act upon it.

Revert back to a pulmonologist online for further follow up --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist

I did consult a doctor and he has prescribed the following. I need your help on some points. Levolin 0.63 mg and Budecort 1 mg nebulization morning evening for 3 days. Montair LC - 10 mg every evening for 2 days. Allegra 120 once daily. Nasal sprays - Otrinoz, three times daily, Metaspray 2 times daily and Ambrolite levo 5 ml 5 times daily 2 days seems very high dosage. He has not prescribed any antibiotics. I am not sure why? I think this is a very high dose for 13 years old. What is your advice?

#

• I really cannot comment on any doctor's prescription.
  • But yes, I also find the dose is quite high. Mention me his weight and current status for a better help.

Revert back with the anthropometric details to a pulmonologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist

|