Q. Please suggest me the right way to get rid of snore and cough.

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.
Published on Nov 19, 2015 and last reviewed on: Feb 23, 2019

From last few days, I have been facing cold. Cold is my common friend due to allergy. The friendship is almost 8 years old. I have been using tablet Levocetirizine when required. In this recent episode of cold attack, I am having irritating cough. It even wakes me up at night. At the time of sleep, some sort of snoring sound comes out from my chest. I can feel that it is due to cough. I am attaching the sound. The mucus is dense and pale yellow in color. Please suggest me the right way to get out of this.

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiology Critical Care Physician General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

I have thoroughly gone through your case and can well understand your genuine health concerns. I appreciate you for uploading the sound clip (attachment removed to protect patient identity) which is a really helpful move.

You are having the typical symptoms of asthma and the sound clip showed that you have "expiratory wheeze". When the airways are narrowed due to some reason, it makes difficult for air to pass in and out of the lungs and creates such noises as you can hear in this sound clip.
Cough is a part of acute exacerbation of the asthma attack. You need to have proper medicine for sometime to get rid of the situation. You need reliever medicines to give you ease right now and also some long term relief medicine named controller medicines. Keep a follow up for better outcome.

1. Pulmonary function tests.
2. Allergy test for asthma.

1. Combivent inhaler - combination of Albuterol and Ipratropium bromide. You use this when you feel shortness of breath or the sounds like you have right now with respiration. It means you will need it as needed.
2. Prednisone by mouth 20 mg twice daily for two weeks.
3. Azithromycin 400 mg once daily for 10 days.
4. Ebastine 10 mg twice daily for 10 days.
5. Ibuprofen twice daily for a week.
6. Cough syrup available over the counter.

| 

Are cold with chest pain and fatigue symptoms of pneumonia?

Query: Hello doctor, I am an 18-year-old female. I have a cold with chest pain, fatigue and difficulty breathing for three days up till now, without physically consulting a doctor. I have had pneumonia last year and I am afraid that I might get again as I am starting to show some symptoms of pneumonia. Sh...  Read Full »

Can normal saline aid in curing cough in a kid?

Query: Hello doctor, My 6-year-old child is having asthma and is coughing in the night. He uses a nebulizer. I am giving him normal saline. Please help.  Read Full »

What medicines can I take for throat irritation post LASIK surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 32 years now. Last Monday got LASIK for my eyes and in recovery phase this week. I had cold before that which has increased and continuing till now. I have throat irritation and slight nose block for which I took Otrivin at night for 2 days but still not much improvement. What table...  Read Full »