Q. I got toric lenses to correct astigmatism. Can I switch to regular lenses?

Dr. Asif Manzoor
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha
Published on Oct 11, 2019

I got toric lenses to correct my astigmatism. Can I switch to regular eye lenses? I want to have colored eye lenses, but it is not available in toric lenses. And how long will it take to correct astigmatism?

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

You have not mentioned how much astigmatism you got. If it is negligible, then it will be fine with the spherical lens only. If it is significantly high, then you must need toric lenses. You can get a customized contact lens from some good optician or lens dispensing shop according to your refractive error and color of your choice. Usually, refractive error changes up to 20 to 22 years of age. Astigmatism or cylindrical number is less likely to correct automatically with age. But you can get laser treatment for refractive error correction after 20 to 22 years of age or when your refraction is stable for up to 6 to 12 months.

Is my left eye red due to constant contact lens use?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 16 years old, and I wear contact lenses. I have never really taken them off. I would sleep with the contact lenses in my eyes and I have started wearing them since I was 13 years old. I would change them, but I would not take them off, and I would go days. My vision gets worse wh...  Read Full >>

Dr. Anand
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It can be an infection, but one thing you must remember is contact lenses should ideally be used 8 to 10 hours a day. If you wear during sleep and for more than 10 hours a day, there is a possibility of the eyes developing infection and transparency of cornea getting d...  Read Full

Can I go for LASIK with high astigmatism?

Query: Hello doctor, I have -2.5 cylindrical in the right and -4 in the left eye and SPH is 4.75 in the right and 5 in the left eye. Can I go for LASIK? Will it be successful as I have high astigmatism?  Read Full >>

Dr. Asif Manzoor
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The most important thing is to rule out keratoconus. Many corneal scan machines have special softwares to rule out KC With the information you sent in the photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity); I can see one suspicious thing that is Kmax 47.3. We need t...  Read Full

How to get rid of glasses?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 24 years old. I have vision problem. I am unable to read books for more than half an hour. Also, I am not able to read for 10 minutes in computer. In my right eye the cylindrical power is -1 at axis 130 and in the left eye the cylindrical power was -0.75 at axis 40. What is the best ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Asif Manzoor
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have got astigmatism. It can be corrected by glasses or contact lenses. If you want to get rid of glasses, then there are different laser procedures like PRK (photorefractive keratectomy) or Femto-Lasik surgery. They are very safe and simple procedures. But, for the ...  Read Full