Q. I slept without removing my contact lenses and had blurred vision. Why?

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
Published on Sep 22, 2018

Without remembering to take off my contacts, I slept with them on. It was only for three and a half hours. These are yearly lenses, so they are pretty thick. They are FDA approved but doctors normally do not recommend them. I woke up with my vision having a white haze. As the time goes by, it is going away. But I just wanna know if I should schedule an appointment with my doctor.

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

I have gone through what you have mentioned and feel that you do need an ophthalmologist appointment. The causes for such a foggy or hazy vision could be corneal edema. As you might already know the contact lenses do not permit good aeration of the cornea, this can cause accumulation of fluid inside the normally transparent cornea causing foggy vision. You may also experience seeing rainbow colored halos around light and glare.

Corneal ulcers. These are also caused by contact lens wear and present with foreign body sensation and pain along with foggy vision. With the above in mind, I feel it is best to visit an ophthalmologist for further evaluation and treatment. Measures to be taken in the meantime are to stop using contact lenses, use glasses. Resume contact lens wear only after your ophthalmologist's advise. Use over the counter lubricants (example-Refresh tears eyedrops 6 to 8 times a day) to soothe the eye. Use sunglasses while outdoors and avoid exposure to dust or wind.

How to choose contact lenses for my power?

Query: Hello doctor, I want to buy contact lenses. I have a spectacle power on both my eyes. The power in my right eye is -2.75, cylinder - 0.50, and axis 20. In the left eye - 2.75, cylinder - 0.75, and axis 20. Please recommend what lens I should opt for. I need a recommendation for both regular wear a...  Read Full >>

Dr. Dada Peer K
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It seems from your history that you are having a refractive error in the form of myopia and astigmatism. This requires a correction by concave lenses and cylindrical lenses. You can go for the prescribed glasses or contact lenses. Coming to the choice of type of lense...  Read Full

Why am I having blurred vision on fourth day of foreign body removal from cornea?

Query: Hello doctor, I recently went to an ophthalmologist to have a foreign body removed from my cornea. I have been applying the overnight cream and drops during the day but on day four, my vision appears to be more blurry. Is this a normal part of healing?  Read Full >>

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through what you have mentioned, new onset of blurring on the day four is not a thing we normally expect. It could be due to a variety of reasons, the most common being increased tearing in your eyes due to inflammation, and the most important being a pro...  Read Full