Q. I slept without removing my contact lenses and had blurred vision. Why?

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Without remembering to take off my contacts, I slept with them on. It was only for three and a half hours. These are yearly lenses, so they are pretty thick. They are FDA approved but doctors normally do not recommend them. I woke up with my vision having a white haze. As the time goes by, it is going away. But I just wanna know if I should schedule an appointment with my doctor.

#

I have gone through what you have mentioned and feel that you do need an ophthalmologist appointment. The causes for such a foggy or hazy vision could be corneal edema. As you might already know the contact lenses do not permit good aeration of the cornea, this can cause accumulation of fluid inside the normally transparent cornea causing foggy vision. You may also experience seeing rainbow colored halos around light and glare.

Corneal ulcers. These are also caused by contact lens wear and present with foreign body sensation and pain along with foggy vision. With the above in mind, I feel it is best to visit an ophthalmologist for further evaluation and treatment. Measures to be taken in the meantime are to stop using contact lenses, use glasses. Resume contact lens wear only after your ophthalmologist's advise. Use over the counter lubricants (example-Refresh tears eyedrops 6 to 8 times a day) to soothe the eye. Use sunglasses while outdoors and avoid exposure to dust or wind.

|