Q. Kindly give your opinion regarding LASIK after seeing my reports.

Dr. Asif Manzoor
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 20, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 03, 2021

I have been wearing contact lens for the last 12 years. Recently, they started getting uncomfortable. So, I stopped using them and got a LASIK consultation with a Pentacam. I have attached the reports taken two days after stopping contact lenses and three weeks after stopping contact lenses. One thing that pops out is the anterior elevation in the left eye. My surgeon says that I have a slightly higher than normal chance of developing post-LASIK ectasia, but it is unlikely. I want a second opinion before I take the plunge. I have no complaints at the moment, except for not being able to wear contact lens for long. Also, I hate glasses.

#

I have seen your prescription and Pentacam scans (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• I could not see any significant pathology in scan. The yellow area showing against the rule astigmatism and that is why you are using Toric contact lenses. Otherwise, corneal thickness and k-readings are normal.
  • Second thing is LASIK or any refractive surgery for you is contraindicated. For me, it is big no for any refractive surgery procedure. I got more than one reason for that. All are contraindications for LASIK.
  • You prescription tells you are having blepharitis, allergic conjunctivitis, dry eyes and blue dot cataract. I would not advise my patient with such multiple problems for any refractive surgery.
  • One more reason is that you are 31 years old now. If you get laser done, then you will need glasses for near at the age of 40 years. But with this -2 you might be fine until the age of 50+.
  • So, with LASIK you will get rid of glasses for about 7 to 8 years and then, you have to use near glasses. You do not have too much number and you should be fine with glasses or contacts.
  • Rest the things you can discuss with your eye doctor. He will do the best for you.

1. Myopic Astigmatism.
2. Blepharitis.
3. Allergic conjunctivitis.

For further doubts consult an eye care ophthalmologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

Thank you for your opinion. I appreciate your clear, concise answers with proper reasoning.

#

Thank you for your kind words. You are always welcome. You can discuss all the above suggestions with your doctor. He will give you the best.

For further doubts consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

|