Q. Kindly give your opinion regarding LASIK after seeing my reports.

Dr. Asif Manzoor
Published on Dec 20, 2016

I have been wearing contact lens for the last 12 years. Recently, they started getting uncomfortable. So, I stopped using them and got a LASIK consultation with a Pentacam. I have attached the reports taken two days after stopping contact lenses and three weeks after stopping contact lenses. One thing that pops out is the anterior elevation in the left eye. My surgeon says that I have a slightly higher than normal chance of developing post-LASIK ectasia, but it is unlikely. I want a second opinion before I take the plunge. I have no complaints at the moment, except for not being able to wear contact lens for long. Also, I hate glasses.

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

I have seen your prescription and Pentacam scans (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• I could not see any significant pathology in scan. The yellow area showing against the rule astigmatism and that is why you are using Toric contact lenses. Otherwise, corneal thickness and k-readings are normal.
  • Second thing is LASIK or any refractive surgery for you is contraindicated. For me, it is big no for any refractive surgery procedure. I got more than one reason for that. All are contraindications for LASIK.
  • You prescription tells you are having blepharitis, allergic conjunctivitis, dry eyes and blue dot cataract. I would not advise my patient with such multiple problems for any refractive surgery.
  • One more reason is that you are 31 years old now. If you get laser done, then you will need glasses for near at the age of 40 years. But with this -2 you might be fine until the age of 50+.
  • So, with LASIK you will get rid of glasses for about 7 to 8 years and then, you have to use near glasses. You do not have too much number and you should be fine with glasses or contacts.
  • Rest the things you can discuss with your eye doctor. He will do the best for you.

1. Myopic Astigmatism.
2. Blepharitis.
3. Allergic conjunctivitis.

For further doubts consult an eye care ophthalmologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

Thank you for your opinion. I appreciate your clear, concise answers with proper reasoning.

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Thank you for your kind words. You are always welcome. You can discuss all the above suggestions with your doctor. He will give you the best.

For further doubts consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

I have dry eyes and feel heaviness and pain. What can be done?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 42 years old female going through dry eyes for the past 45 days. I have been to three different doctors but no relief. I feel heaviness in the eyes along with pain and redness. I have been given a gel and a tube (Systane eye drop and Ara gel). Please help.  Read Full »

Are my symptoms due to meibomian gland disorder or blepharitis?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been suffering from an eye problem since the last 18 months or so. Initially, I was diagnosed with dry eyes and was suggested warm compress lifelong along with few eye drops and antibiotic. I have checked with almost six doctors locally out of which few say it is meibomian gla...  Read Full »

I have dry eyes after a LASIK surgery. Is there some medication I can try?

Query: Hi doctor,About two years ago, I did LASIK surgery to correct short-sightedness. I recovered from it and have a normal vision now. The trouble note is my eyes gets dry soon. And sometimes when I wake up I cannot even open my eyes as it is too dry and I need to keep it closed until it waters which ...  Read Full »