Q. What is the treatment for astigmatism?

Dr. Asif Manzoor
and medically reviewed by Dr. Dr. Divya Banu M
Published on Jul 03, 2019

I just went to an optometrist yesterday and they gave me a contact lens prescription of -6.00 for both eyes. For 30 years, I have always had different strengths, both with astigmatism usually going up a bit each year to the last one 18 months ago which was: Left -4.50 -.75 160 8.6 14.5 and Right -5.00 -2.25 180 8.6 14.5. Now this new place is telling me I do not need any astigmatism correction. The trial lenses I left with did not work 30 minutes later. I think their test was done wrong or could they possibly be right? They are acting like they do not want to retest at all.

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

If someone has an astigmatism and that too upto 2.5 diopter, it is rare that it is reversed. But sometimes optometrist can add astigmatic power in spherical power that is called spherical equivalent. In such cases half the power of cylinder is added to spherical power. For small astigmatism, it works well that you can use simple spherical lens but if astigmatism is higher then spherical equivalent will not give optimal visual correction.

For right eye which has 0.75 cylinder can be added to spherical and it will work but in left eye cylinderical power is 2.5 diopter. Now, if you are comfortable with simple spherical glasses then it is okay. But if it is not working then you should shift back to cylinderical contact lenses. You can visit to your optometrist or ophthalmologist again for accurate refraction and I hope your problem will be solved. You are welcome for any queries.

Is it mandatory to wear glass for eye power in an 8-year-old?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is 8.11 years old. He had an eye injury one week before, which caused left eye corneal epithelial defect (3 mm, no infiltrate). He was adviced for constant use of single vision white glass. His reports are, Right eye (SPH=+0.00), (CYL=+0.75), (AXIS=95), (VISION=6/6). Left eye (S...  Read Full »

Can I go for LASIK with high astigmatism?

Query: Hello doctor, I have -2.5 cylindrical in the right and -4 in the left eye and SPH is 4.75 in the right and 5 in the left eye. Can I go for LASIK? Will it be successful as I have high astigmatism?  Read Full »

My eye power is high. Please guide me with any solution.

Query: Dear Doctor, My eye power is very high. re sph 4.25 cycl 4.75 axis 180. le sph 5.25 cycl 3.50 axis is 10. Weight 60 kg, Age 19 years, male, height 6 feet, vegetarian. Guide me with any solution.  Read Full »