Q. What is the treatment for astigmatism?

Dr. Asif Manzoor

I just went to an optometrist yesterday and they gave me a contact lens prescription of -6.00 for both eyes. For 30 years, I have always had different strengths, both with astigmatism usually going up a bit each year to the last one 18 months ago which was: Left -4.50 -.75 160 8.6 14.5 and Right -5.00 -2.25 180 8.6 14.5. Now this new place is telling me I do not need any astigmatism correction. The trial lenses I left with did not work 30 minutes later. I think their test was done wrong or could they possibly be right? They are acting like they do not want to retest at all.

#

If someone has an astigmatism and that too upto 2.5 diopter, it is rare that it is reversed. But sometimes optometrist can add astigmatic power in spherical power that is called spherical equivalent. In such cases half the power of cylinder is added to spherical power. For small astigmatism, it works well that you can use simple spherical lens but if astigmatism is higher then spherical equivalent will not give optimal visual correction.

For right eye which has 0.75 cylinder can be added to spherical and it will work but in left eye cylinderical power is 2.5 diopter. Now, if you are comfortable with simple spherical glasses then it is okay. But if it is not working then you should shift back to cylinderical contact lenses. You can visit to your optometrist or ophthalmologist again for accurate refraction and I hope your problem will be solved. You are welcome for any queries.

|