Eye Power

Does my child need to wear glasses all the time for his astigmatism?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is 5-years-old. We had an annual eye checkup, and he was diagnosed to have astigmatism in his eyes. My concerns are: 1) Does he need to wear glasses all the time and throughout life? 2) Can it ever fix or cure? 3) If he does not wear eyeglasses, will it go worse, or...  Read Full »

Dr. Sankaran Mathangee

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The answers are as follows; 1) Yes, he needs to wear glasses constantly. 2) You can do lasik or other procedures later only if it is necessary. 3) Yes, if he does not wear glasses, it will worsen. 4) He can undergo laser treatment after 20 years of ag...  Read Full »

Kindly suggest whether my eye power fits with my state medical test criteria?

Query: Hi doctor, I am attaching my eye prescription. I am also attaching my medical test criteria for state police service rank. Please mention whether I meet the given eye power.   Read Full »

Dr. Shachi Dwivedi

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.On seeing your criteria and test results, you are having a combined power of -4.50 including cylinder. It does not fit your prescribed criteria. I suggest you do a dilated refraction to know your exact power and also do a color vision test.   Read Full »

How often should a prescription glass be changed?

Query: Hi doctor, I was wearing glasses three years back, and I had no problems. The powers were right eye sphere (-1.25), cylinder (-0.5), axis (10). Left eye sphere (-1.25), cylinder (-0.5), axis (30). And a year back, I started having a headache. So I went to the eye doctor, and he gave me new prescrip...  Read Full »

Dr. Hussein Ayoub

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for the query. The headache, squint, and complaints are all related to your eyes. I am a little bit confused with the change in the prescriptions you have described. Usually, we do not change prescription glasses above 18 to 20 years because as you grow, your eye...  Read Full »

Can LipiFlow or IPL result in eye floaters?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 24 years old. I have a dry eye. I went to a dry eye center, and they did LipiFlow and one session of IPL laser. Ever since my eyes have felt less dry, but I have been seeing many floaters. I checked with an ophthalmologist, and he said my eye looks healthy. However, he was able to s...  Read Full »

Dr. Prashant Koranmath

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is a jelly-like substance in the eye called vitreous, and as age progresses, it starts to liquefy, or if it gets detached, you start seeing floaters. It is common in people with myopia. It is not due to IPL laser (intense pulsed light). You should go to an ophthal...  Read Full »

Can you reverse the change in eye power caused by using wrong glasses?

Query: Hi doctor, Before two years, I had an SPH of +0.5 in the right eye and ADD of +1.25. In my left eye, I had an SPH of +0.75 and ADD of +1.25. But I was using a glass having SPH of +1.50 and ADD of +1.25 in my right eye and SPH of +1.50 and ADD of +1.25 in my left eye. Yesterday, I went to a test a...  Read Full »

Dr. Pooja Pandya

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to your age, you are having hypermetropia. It is called far-sightedness. In this, distant objects can be seen clearly but near focus seems to be blurred without glasses. As you are 46 years old, so this is an age to have a cataract. Once you have it, it gets i...  Read Full »

Do children outgrow hypermetropia?

Query: Hello doctor, My 3-year-old daughter has eye power of -2 and -1.75 myopia and 0.5 spherical in one eye with an axis of 100 in both eyes. Does she need to wear glasses? As I have an understanding kids, the eyes are still developing till the age of 5 or 6.  Read Full »

Dr. Asha Barboza

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do you have a prescription that you can upload? I am not able to ascertain if she has a cylinder in both eyes or one eye.   Read Full »

Is it a must to wear glasses all the time for cylindrical power of -0.5 and -1.25?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a cylindrical eye power for ten months. Initially, my power was -0.5 in my right and -0.75 in my left eyes. But now, in my right eye, there is an eye power of -0.5 on an axis of 180 and in my left eye, there is an eye power of -1.25 on an axis of 180. Do I need to wear glasses all...  Read Full »

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, a cylindrical change from -0.75 to -1.25 will not occur and most probably it occurs due to interobserver variation. Usually, a refractive error will not show changes after 20 to 22 years of age. As you are 27 years of age, there is very little chance t...  Read Full »

Can myopia be reduced naturally?

Query: Hi doctor,I have mild myopia. I have been prescribed glasses before five years. My first power was -0.25 and -0.5 dioptre. Now it is -2.5 and -3.0 dioptre. At first, my power got increased -0.5 in both eyes every six months. For the last one and a half years, it has got increased to -0.5 in both eye...  Read Full »

Dr. Skandha Harshita

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through the query and I understand your concern. Myopia does not resolve and only pseudomyopia resolves. For younger children, Atropine can be used as a prophylactic treatment and it is not effective for older children or teens. Exercises are followed fo...  Read Full »

Are headaches and eye strain common when using new glasses?

Query: Hi doctor, I use laptop for eight hours a day and it caused stress to my eyes even while using glasses. Again I did an eye checkup and the doctor told me that I have weak eyesight especially on the right eye and I am unable to see distant objects clearly. After that, I brought a new glass with an a...  Read Full »

Dr. Asha Barboza

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. I presume that you were tested by an ophthalmologist and not by an optical shop. After using new spectacles, your eyestrain can be increased because the power can be too high for your requirement especially if it is a minus power. Any over...  Read Full »

Does wearing spectacles with the wrong eye axis result in headaches and eye strain?

Query: Hi doctor, When I study for a long time, my eyes and head start to have pain and I showed it to the doctor but they found nothing. But when I showed my glasses of -0.50 to a specs shop he told me that I am wearing 170 to 175 degree lenses instead of 180 degrees. Does this difference in degrees affe...  Read Full »

Dr. Asha Barboza

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Headache can occur due to numerous causes including stress, migraine, refractive errors, sinusitis, glaucoma, and high blood pressure. You have a condition called astigmatism. In this condition, the cornea is not completely spherical but they are oval-shaped like an...  Read Full »