Eye Power

Is it a must to wear glasses all the time for cylindrical power of -0.5 and -1.25?

Query: I have cylinder power,from past 10 months-first my power was 0.5 in right and 0.75 in left but now I have in my right eye is -0.5,axis is 180 and in left eye -1.25,axis is 180..Do I need to wear glasses all the time?Can I wear lenses for this power?and also can I go for lasik surgery?please reply..a...  Read Full »

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi. Welcome to Icliniq. I will try to answer all your questions one by one. So first of all cylinderical change from -0.75 to -1.25 is not significant and most probably it was due to interobserver variation. Usually refractive error does not change after 20-22 years age and as you are 27 so less ch...  Read Full »

Are spherical numbers of -4 and -2.5 concerning in a 4-year-old kid?

Query: Hello doctor, Please find the eye report of my 4-year-old son. He is not getting much issues in walking, in long-distance reading and in anything, but in the eye test report he got -4 and -2.5 spherical numbers in the eyes. Is it a very serious number? I am very tensed as I thought - 4 is a very bi...  Read Full »

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your attached photo. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There are both spherical and cylindrical powers in both of his eyes. This power is large for a 4-year-old boy and I understand your concern. Regarding the cause, the given a...  Read Full »

Why is my eyesight decreasing every year?

Query: Hello doctor, My eyesight is decreasing every year and now it is -7 in both eyes. How can I cure it and will it be sign of blind soon?  Read Full »

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welome to icliniq.com. I have gone through what you have mentioned in your query. It is quite a common sight here to see people as young as you with a power of -7 to -8. So, there is nothing serious in this. You have mentioned that your power is -7 but you have not mentioned how much you are a...  Read Full »

Is lasik surgery recommended for myopia with changing eye power?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 23 years old. I am suffering from high myopia. The power in my glass is -7:00 in the left eye and -14:00 in the right eye. And the main problem is my power is still increasing. Why is it increasing? Is there any solution to make the power constant? If my power becomes constant, ...  Read Full »

Dr. Rahul Vaswani

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. First of all, you need to get an indirect ophthalmoscopy done to rule out areas of weakness in your retina. Cause of your increasing number it can be pathological myopia in which your retina is getting increasingly weak. Now about lasik: your right eye is amblyopic ...  Read Full »

Can myopia of power +1.5 be cured with medicine or exercise?

Query: Hello doctor, My son is detected with hypermyopia with power of +1.5. Can it be cured with medicine or exercise?  Read Full »

Dr. Shikha

General Practitioner, Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. What is his age?  Read Full »

Why do I have eye pain even after using new glasses?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having dry eyes problem since last four years due to regular eight hours computer use. There is burning also sometimes and reading puts stress on eyes. I consulted a doctor and started using Softdrops daily 3 to 4 times before computer use, and taking Retinox tablets periodically...  Read Full »

Dr. Vaibhev Mittal

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms are suggestive of dry eyes (computer vision syndrome). There is no permanent cure for dryness. Power on both your eyes is negligible (attachment removed to protect patient identity). In my opinion, if there is no headache then you can avoid these glasse...  Read Full »

I feel dizzy and headache whenever I wear my glasses. Why?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been wearing the same eyeglasses prescription for a few years now. I recently had another eye exam, and not much has changed. However, every time I put my current glasses on I starts feeling dizzy. My vision does not seem quite right, and it is giving me headaches. They did adjus...  Read Full »

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Eye strain after a change of glasses might be due to over or under correction of glasses or improper spectacle frame and centration. So you need to recheck your refraction and lenses whether they are dispensed according to your prescription. If you are having trouble...  Read Full »

What is meant by 6/6 right eye, 6/6 left eye and 6/5 uniocular vision with glasses?

Query: Hello doctor, What is meant by 6/6 right eye, 6/6 left eye and 6/5 uniocular vision with glasses?  Read Full »

Dr. Rahul Vaswani

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. In laymen terms, 6 by 6 means scientificly defined perfect vision. In medical terms, 6 by 6 means what you see from six meters, a person with normal vision also sees it from 6 metres. 6 by 5 means what a normal person sees from 5 metres you see it from 6 metres only me...  Read Full »

Trial lenses did not correct astigmation. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I just went to an optometrist yesterday and they gave me a contact lens prescription of -6.00 for both eyes. For 30 years, I have always had different strengths, both with astigmatism usually going up a bit each year to the last one 18 months ago which was: Left -4.50 -.75 160 8.6 ...  Read Full »

Dr. Asif Manzoor

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If someone has an astigmatism and that too upto 2.5 diopter, it is rare that it is reversed. But sometimes optometrist can add astigmatic power in spherical power that is called spherical equivalent. In such cases half the power of cylinder is added to spherical power. ...  Read Full »

Does eye pain while watching TV indicate the need for glasses?

Query: Hello doctor, My 4 years old daughter has an inward turn in her right eye after concentrating for a while. We had an eye test recently. Can you tell me if her results mean she needs glasses as she keeps saying her eyes hurt watching television and readings of her results are: Right eye sph +1.50 cy...  Read Full »

Dr. Souhad

Eye Care Ophthalmologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. That is a very normal refractive condition of a 4-year-old child and I would not advise correction. However, you might want to consider reducing the time watching TV along with the brightness of the screen after sunset. Reduced blinking might lead to drying up of the...  Read Full »