Q. Can eye power be reversed by eating carrots and vitamins?

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
Published on Apr 30, 2019

My son is 8.11 years old. He had an eye injury one week before, which caused left eye corneal epithelial defect (3 mm, no infiltrate). He was adviced for constant use of single vision white glass. His reports are,

Right eye (SPH=+0.00), (CYL=+0.75), (AXIS=95), (VISION=6/6).

Left eye (SPH=+0.00), (CYL=+0.25), (AXIS=90), (VISION=6/6).

Does he need to wear glasses? Or eating a carrot, beetroot will help him to be normal?

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

I understand your concerns and have gone through your son's eye records. I can confirm that the power given cannot be reversed by eating carrots and vitamins. This type of power is called a cylindrical power, and if he does not wear the glasses, he can develop weakness of his optic nerve in the long run, along with short term effects like blurred vision and headache.

A drug called Low-dose Atropine in a way can be used to control eye power in children and halt progression but it is only tested in minus powers and not in plus powers. My suggestion is to advise him to wear glasses regularly and follow-up with the ophthalmologist every six months. I hope this helps you.

| 

Can I go for LASIK with high astigmatism?

Query: Hello doctor, I have -2.5 cylindrical in the right and -4 in the left eye and SPH is 4.75 in the right and 5 in the left eye. Can I go for LASIK? Will it be successful as I have high astigmatism?  Read Full »

If I do not wear spectacles for an hour,will it increase my eye power?

Query: Hello Doctor, If I do not wear spectacles for an hour everyday, will it increase my eye power or damage my eyes?  Read Full »