HomeAnswersOphthalmology (Eye Care)cylindrical eye powerIs it mandatory to wear glass for eye power in an 8-year-old?

Can eye power be reversed by eating carrots and vitamins?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. Nithila. A

Published At June 8, 2019
Reviewed AtJuly 18, 2023

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

My son is 8.11 years old. He had an eye injury one week before, which caused left eye corneal epithelial defect (3 mm, no infiltrate). He was adviced for constant use of single vision white glass. His reports are, right eye (SPH=+0.00), (CYL=+0.75), (AXIS=95), (VISION=6/6) and left eye (SPH=+0.00), (CYL=+0.25), (AXIS=90), (VISION=6/6). Does he need to wear glasses? Or eating a carrot, beetroot will help him to be normal?


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I understand your concerns and have gone through your son's eye records. I can confirm that the power given cannot be reversed by eating carrots and vitamins. This type of power is called a cylindrical power, and if he does not wear the glasses, he can develop weakness of his optic nerve in the long run, along with short term effects like blurred vision and headache. A drug called Low-dose Atropine in a way can be used to control eye power in children and halt progression but it is only tested in minus powers and not in plus powers. My suggestion is to advise him to wear glasses regularly and follow-up with the ophthalmologist every six months. I hope this helps you.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
Dr. Manjunath Natarajan

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy