Q. X-ray showed hyperinflated lungs and spirometry showed 41%. Do I have emphysema or bronchitis?

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 11, 2021 and last reviewed on: Feb 10, 2021

My x-ray showed hyperinflation, spirometry 41%. CT scans do not mention emphysema (possible middle lung syndrome). I do not get a specialist appointment for a month. I want to review existing radiology and spirometry results to advise if emphysema is more likely chronic bronchitis, asthma or something else.

I am currently using Seretide two puffs morning and night.

#

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from asthma and middle lobe atelectasis.

Atelectasis is the partial or complete collapse of the entire lungs or a particular area or lobe of the lungs. It occurs when the alveoli or air sacs is within the lungs become deflated or fiĺl with alveolar fluid. In the case of atelectasis, your blood may not receive enough oxygen, so the blood supplies oxygen to the organs and tissues become insufficient. It may be of two types acute and chronic. In acute atelectasis, the lung has recently collapsed. In chronic atelectasis, the affected area is characterized by a complex mixture of airless, infections, widening of bronchi or bronchiectasis, destruction, scarring or fibrosis.

Chronic atelectasis may take one of the two forms like middle lobe atelectasis or round atelectasis. In middle lobe syndrome, the middle lobe of the lung contracts due to pressure on the bronchus from enlarged lymph nodes or, occasionally, a tumor. The blocked, contracted lung may develop pneumonia that fails to subside completely and leads to chronic inflammation, scarring, and bronchiectasis.

So, you are suffering from chronic atelectasis followed by middle lobe syndrome and now may develop bronchiectasis, which are the condition where the bronchial tubes of your lungs are permanently damaged, widened, and thickened.

|