Q. How can bronchiectasis be treated?

Dr. Chandra Shekhar

I am 31 years old. I am suffering from high BP and I am currently on medication. I have no thyroid issues, no diabetes, and normal lipids. ECG and echo both are normal. But, the main problem is a little breathing difficulty. The X-ray of the chest is clear normal but the HRCT of the chest revealed early bronchiectatic changes.

The question is what is the difference between early bronchiectatic changes and bronchiectasis? Is there any difference in the degrees? What is the treatment? I have a son with whom I am emotionally very attached. Can I at least live a normal lifespan with treatment or is there any specific life expectancy of five years or so? Please help me out how long can I live?

Secondly, I want to expel mucus from inside. Can I try Guaifenesin alone or in combination with what? Can you please provide a drug to expel mucus.

#

I saw your all reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and want to say something.

Your probable diagnosis is bronchiectasis.

Early bronchiectasis does not mean you are a patient of bronchiectasis.

Also, you have atelectasis. So, send me a picture of the CT (computed tomography) scan and X-ray of the chest.

You can try Aerodil (Guaifenesin and Ambroxol) syrup and tablet Acebrophylline SR 200 mg OD. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the medicines.

You also can try postural drainage of the sputum. Online information about this is available.

Another thing I want to say is you go for sputum Gram staining, AFB (acid-fast bacilli) staining, and fungal staining.

Your survival can be more than 70 years.

For more information consult a pulmonologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist

Definitely, I will send the images to you. I read that gravity-dependent atelectasis is just because of some position while on CT. If we change the position, it vanishes. Is it so? Some say gravity-dependent atelectasis is benign. I need your opinion on this. Secondly, Aerodil syrup contains Salbutamol also along with Guaifenesin and Ambroxol.

• Can I take that or only Ambroxol with Guaifenesin is recommended?
  • Can I take Budesonide/Formoterol inhaler along with Acebrophylline tablet as you mentioned? Can both be taken?
  • Can third generation beta-blocker like Nebivolol be taken for BP in bronchiectasis?
  • Can I take the medicine prescribed until the symptoms subside? Or is there any other duration?
#

No, there is nothing like gravity-dependent atelectasis.

But when you send me your film of CT (computed tomography) scan and X-ray then I will clearly say.

I suggest you syrup Aerodil (Ambroxol, Guaifenesin, Terbutaline) 10 mL thrice a day.

Yes, you can take the MDI (metered-dose inhaler) Foracort (Formoterol and Budesonide) 200 one puff twice a day with Zerostat VT Spacer in proper technique.

Third generation beta-blocker like Nebivolol can be taken for blood pressure regulation in bronchiectasis. It is not contraindicated. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the medicines.

Send me the CT film and then I will tell you the severity of your disease.

|