Q. I have a 2 mm solitary pulmonary nodule. Is this serious?

I am a 74-year-old male, weighing 142 lbs, height 5'10" and a non-smoker. I worked in an auto body shop for two years and painting cars for 18 to 19 years. Had minimal exposure to asbestos and quit grain farming at the age of 44 years. When I was 56 years old, I had a severe panic disorder and MVP. Around three months ago, I had a very small amount of blood in my phlegm when clearing my throat about six times. The doctor said that it was due to a blood vessel breakage, but ordered a pulmonary function test and chest CT to be sure. Pulmonary function test done two months back was normal. Chest CT findings showed no bronchiectasis or interstitial lung disease, no pneumothorax or pleural effusion. There is very minimal atelectasis in the left and right lower lobes. There is a 2 mm pleural based RT, lower lobe pulmonary nodule and no additional nodule or mass. My pulmonary doctor talked like nothing is seriously wrong.

What is your opinion? Should I have follow-ups on the 2 mm nodule? What did minimal atelectasis mean and what caused it? I take no medicines except Ativan PRN.

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

See, solitary pulmonary nodule which is asymptomatic does not require any further investigations. However, any persisting fever, cough and cold warrants bronchoscopy and biopsy of the lesion to rule out any possible causes.

Atelectasis is the collapse of alveoli of the lung. So, that needs an evaluation from my side. I would suggest bronchoscopy for you based on your current scenario.

For more information consult a criticalcare physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/criticalcare-physician

| 

Why is there clubbing in a chronic smoker?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 27 years old, female. 130 lbs. Have a history of smoking slightly less than one pack a day for 10 years. Quit a month ago. I am concerned about finger clubbing. I have noticed a new curvature in my nail over the last few months that was not present before. It is mostly in my inde...  Read Full »

Are the opacities in my chest x-ray due to cold?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a chest x-ray for medical examination. The doctor asked me to take the x-ray twice. These days, I am suffering from cold and throat pain. Will it affect my result? Earlier I had some allergy, but nowadays I did not have that problem. Is it a serious problem to consider? Please guid...  Read Full »

How serious is a triple valve disease in a smoker?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 42 year old male. I smoke 30 to 40 cigarettes per day. I was admitted into a hospital last week with chest pain and underwent angiography, which showed triple vessel disease. ECG was showing normal rhythm with no evidence of acute ischemic changes. Troponins were mildly elevat...  Read Full »

Ask a Criticalcare Physician Now