Q. I have eczema only in my legs. What to do?

Published on May 09, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 17, 2019

I am aware that I have eczema. But, everything I try does not work. I have been having severe eczema since I was 8. I am about to be 19 now. I have tried using unscented lotions, dermatology approved lotions, organic oils and even all of the ointments doctors prescribe me with. The only thing that the lotions and ointments do is calm the irritation. Over the years, I have learnt to resist the urge to scratch unless it becomes unbearable. But, I always find myself sleep scratching. Yeah, I said it sleep scratching. I wake up with tingling legs and can see how hard I have scratched in the middle of the night. I moisturize all the time. Yet nothing works. I am getting to the point where it is starting to interfere with my life. I am young. I want to wear shorts and sundresses whenever I want. But I cannot because of the ugly scarring I have on my legs. I forgot to mention that my eczema is only active on my legs. Occasionally it occurs in my hands and rarely on my arms. Sometimes I even get it on my face. I have tried keeping my nails short so I do not have gross scratch scars but it does not work. I get my nails done because it does not leave scratch scars but it leaves bruises. And do not get me wrong the ointment is the best thing that works but I do not want to have to be wearing that ointment as a lotion. I have to leave to the ladies room about every hour so I can moisturize my legs to prevent the itching from happening but honestly who wants to live a life like that? It has begun to affect my life emotionally and I do not know how much more I can take of it.

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

I can understand your concern.

Being a dermatologist observes in day-to-day activity few diseases have bad impact on lifestyle, out of which eczema is one of them.

But, with your descriptions it seems to be atopic dermatitis, which becomes better as age progress.

In adults, it involves the flexural surface eventually localizing to the front of elbows and behind the knees.

You need not have to worry that much. Besides medicine, you should do some yoga exercises, which will help you much.

Few general measures you have to follow are:

1. Moisturizer (coconut oil) should be applied two to three times daily.
  2. Not to use hot water for bath and it should be lukewarm.
  3. Do not rub your skin after bath and it should be slightly wet.

In case of oozing, avoid ointment or cream, corticosteroids in lotion form may be used. When there is no oozing or in dry eczemas, corticosteroid cream is to be applied locally twice a day.

Local antibiotic cream with or without corticosteroid is helpful where bacterial infection is present.

Skin biopsy needs to be done to confirm the diagnosis.

Atopic dermatitis.

Revert back for regular follow up to a dermatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Please suggest treatment for Dennie-Morgan lines.

Query: Hello doctor, I have got pretty bad eczema. I have been using Doublebase gel that my GP gave me, but does not seem to be working. What is annoying is that I have noticed very deep wrinkles under my eyes where my skin is mostly dry. Could I get rid of these? I am only 18 and I cannot even look in the...  Read Full »

Autologous Serum Therapy - a Newer Approach in Management of Chronic Urticaria

Article Overview: Here, I have discussed about the mechanism of action and procedure details of autologous serum therapy. Read Article

Allergy Specialist

The treatment of choice for chronic urticaria is the first generation antihistamines at a maximal dose before restoring to corticosteroids or Cyclosporine. To avoid the various side effects of steroids and expensiveness of Cyclosporine, there is a method with no side effects and cheap to prepare, kn...  Read Article

My baby is suffering from eczema. Please suggest some treatment.

Query: Hi doctor, My 5 months old baby has pretty bad eczema. Just recently, he had a bad flare-up in which he was weeping from both legs, arms, hands and cheeks. For 80% of the day he is suffering with rash and seems to have no relief at all. He scratches and cries continuously throughout the day and wak...  Read Full »