Q. Can you help me in getting my itching treated?

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal
Published on Sep 13, 2016

I am suffering from itching in different parts of the body for the last three years. It increases during winter season, though it stays in summer season also. I had a past history of head dandruff, face itch and rashes, which was cured and relieved. At present, I am facing problem of itch at my back middle portion, back portion of hair near the back of the neck, stomach, near private parts, some parts of the hand and some parts of the legs. Itch occurs mostly in the evening and at night. When I start scratching some sticky liquid comes out. During last winter, I visited skin doctor and he diagnosed me with scabies. He gave a few creams and medicines, but they were of little help. During summer, I was relieved of heavy itching in body parts, but a few eczema like spots come up in different parts of the body where itching occurs. When I use Lobate GM cream on the affected area I get some relief and visible result within a week, but the spots again come up with itching. I have clicked the photos of my affected area. Can you please help me to get this treated?

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

You seem to be suffering from atopic dermatitis.

Do you suffer from any allergies? Is there any history of asthma in your family?

Moisturizers, which are specially meant for such conditions and other medicines can be used. For example Aveeno or Cetaphil DAM lotion.

I suggest Moisturex Syndet soap for bathing and wear cotton clothes.

Avoid direct contact of woolen on your skin and wear cotton clothing underneath.

Avoid perfumes, pets, heavy curtains and carpets, which gather dust.

For itching, I suggest tablet tablet Atarax 25 mg (Hydroxyzine) once daily at night. These measures will reduce the need of potent steroids. Consult your specialist doctor and take the medicine with consent.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

My father is having cough problems due to the nature of work in the coalfields. I do not have asthma issue, but I do suffer from nose block and mild sneezes as the climate changes. Also, I am facing with breathing problem due to dust and pollution. When I consulted a doctor, he gave me a tablet and that gave me good relief for some time. I am also suffering from stomach problem of hyperacidity and acid reflux issue. I avoid brinjal as I have noticed some itching when I consume it. Regarding Atarax tablet, I remember now that my doctor prescribed me this medicine during winter for two months twice a day daily. But, it did not provide me absolute relief. Can you please suggest me some itch removal lotion that can applied overnight before sleeping?

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

#

• So, the diagnosis of atopic dermatitis is confirmed.
  • In place of Atarax, I suggest tablet Ciplactin 4 mg (Cyproheptadine) at night time.
  • As per lotion, you can apply Physiogel AI lotion over your body. Mix a little of Tenovate-GN cream (combination of Clobetasol and Neomycin) in it. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

My baby is suffering from eczema. Please suggest some treatment.

Query: Hi doctor, My 5 months old baby has pretty bad eczema. Just recently, he had a bad flare-up in which he was weeping from both legs, arms, hands and cheeks. For 80% of the day he is suffering with rash and seems to have no relief at all. He scratches and cries continuously throughout the day and wak...  Read Full »

Do you have any idea about the dry skin in my lower legs?

Query: Hi doctor,I have some dry skin in the front of my lower legs, but it is on both legs. It is red and looks like dry skin. It does not itch, and I have had it for a few months. Do you have any idea of what could it be?  Read Full »

I have severe itching in the groin area. What should I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I have itchy boils on the scrotum and groin areas. During the day, I feel too itchy, and due to the itching, I have developed rashes which are painful. When I try to break them, it starts to bleed. Sometimes, I have the itchiness during the night as well. I have attached an image for y...  Read Full »