Q. Is it safe to change the dosage of heart medicines to once every two days?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.
Published on Jun 08, 2018

I am a 49 year old male. Five years ago, I got two stents on the left. Actually, my heart was good only 30 % block. I take Vitoryn and Aspirin until now. I started having arrhythmia two years ago. AF comes out once every one and a half months for two to four hours. When AF attacks, I cannot stand up. I feel dizzy and like I am going to faint. I only took medicines for a month that time. THree and a half months back, I started taking Cordarone 200 mg. And Xarelto 15 mg. Until now, AF never came back. I already stopped Xarelto one month ago. Can I reduce Cordarone into half or take it every two days? Two weeks ago, suddenly my entire body felt itchy and swollen for two hours, then went away by itself. Please advice.

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiology Critical Care Physician General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

I have reviewed your health query and can well understand you are worried about your heart health. I would not say to stop Xarelto (Rivaroxaban) and/or Cordarone (Amiodarone) as these are very important medications and you need them. For stent patients, Xarelto reduces the risk of strokes, pulmonary embolism, and deep venous thrombosis, and clots initiating from the stents area. It is a blood thinning agent and keeps the blood running in veins and arteries without excessive clotting.

Cordarone, on the other hand, keeps you away from heart rhythm problems like AF (atrial fibrillation). With the fact that you are having no arrhythmias while taking this medication, I do not think there is an obvious need to change the dosage. If your cardiologist gets some indication to reduce the dosage after examining you physically, that would be a different story.

My final suggestion is to consult your treating physician before changing medications. Hope this helps.

For more infiormation consult a cardiologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Can implantable cardioverter defibrillator cause AFib?

Query: Hello doctor, I would like to know if an implantable cardioverter defibrillator can cause AFib. Please explain.  Read Full >>

Dr. Rishu

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Implantable defibrillators are implanted to terminate an episode of atrial arrhythmia. AFib (atrial fibrillation) is also a type of atrial arrhythmia. The ICD not only provides treatment for atrial arrhythmias, but also provides treatment for ventricular arrhythmias, as ...  Read Full

Can lightheadedness with abnormal heart rate be due to atrial fibrillation?

Query: Hello doctor, Last weekend, I ended up in the ER department after an overdose on THC capsules. Very scary experience my heart was going crazy, very bad chest pain, shortness of breath, tremor, etc., for about five hours. I had an ECG done in the hospital which said sinus tachycardia. My blood was t...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, it is possible, but a likely possibility is of ventricular ectopics (or other causes) rather than Afib which could also cause irregular heartbeats on the machine. Even in normal individuals, the machine may falsely show irregular beats. Few points which are agains...  Read Full

I feel as if my heart is pounding irregularly. Can it be atrial fibrillation?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 46 year old female. My blood pressure is low normal. I have never had any heart issues except palpitations when pregnant 10 years ago. They did a cardiac ultrasound at that time, which was normal. Just over a week ago, I started feeling, intermittently during the day, as if my ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Rishu

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your detailed narration and understand your concerns. The ECG (electrocardiogram) recordings are clearly suggestive of atrial fibrillation (AF) and there is no doubt about it. The P-wave is absent and the rhythm is irregular. Both are suggestive of...  Read Full