Q. Kindly advise treatment other than medicines for AFib, thick spot and fluid in heart.

Dr. Vivek Pillai

What medications would you prescribe if someone has a part of their heart that is not working, AFib, an EF of 25, a thick spot in the heart and is having fluid build up? Is medication the only hope?

#

From your query, it appears as if the patient has severe LV dysfunction and on top of that atrial fibrillation. Hence, I would prescribe drugs like beta blockers, ACE inhibitors, aldosterone antagonists and also Amiodarone if the atrial fibrillation is running at a fast rate. I would also like to rule out any reversible cause of the poorly functioning heart like blocks in the blood vessels supplying the heart, alcohol abuse, and rectify that, if possible. Beyond medication, there are devices like cardiac resynchronization therapy, but only a few patients are suitable for that, and finally heart transplantation.

|