Q. How is LVEDP of 4 mmHg concordant with diastolic dysfunction?

Dr. Isaac Gana

I am a 57 year old male, and I had episodes of shortness of breath and tachycardia, six months back. I take high doses of Statin and ACE inhibitors from ten years, and my lipid profile is excellent. EKG showed slight ST depression, an echocardiogram showed WMA (wall motion abnormalities), and the angiogram showed moderate coronary artery disease (CAD) in LAD, about 50% at first septal branch. LVEDP is 4 mmHg, no aortic pullback, and no mitral gradient. The diagnosis is nonobstructive coronary artery disease, and when I pressed for the etiology of symptoms, I was told it was due to a mild developmental disorder. After six months of weight loss, diet changes, exercise, etc., my symptoms have improved, but are still evident. How is LVEDP of 4 mmHg concordant with diastolic dysfunction? What else could be causing the symptoms, since CAD is nonhemodynamic?

#

Thanks for providing a detailed explanation.

• In my practice, normal LVEDP (left ventricular end-diastolic pressure) is considered between 4 to 12 mmHg.
  • I would love to know when you last went for any of these tests, that is EKG (electrocardiography), echocardiogram, and lipid profile tests? Is your present weight 104 kg? These questions are important because nonobstructive CAD (coronary artery disease) progresses very fast to cause cardiac events because most physicians do not aggressively tackle it due to the absence of significant obstruction.
  • Symptoms most times do not disappear immediately, especially if our BMI (body mass index) is presently at 31, that puts you at stage 1 obesity. So, I advise that you redo EKG, echocardiogram, lipid profile test that might give an insight.

Revert with more information to a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Thank you for the quick reply. EKG, echo and cardiopulmonary tests were done six months ago. My present weight is 230 lbs, down from 285 lbs. My LDL was 70, HDL was 57, non-HDL was 112, and TG 185. But, now my LDL is 35, HDL is 50, TG is 75, non-HDL is 51, and hs-CRP is 6. Unfortunately, I do not know LDL-P or ApoB. I added Ezetimibe 10 mg to 20 mg Crestor plus and stopped eating carbohydrates. I am still confused about how the LVEDP can be 4 mmHg, with diastolic dysfunction? Would not a non-compliant LV, typically cause preload to be higher rather than lower? And LVEF is 60 %. My cardiologist does not want to see me for another year and does not explain anything.

#

Your lipid profile test shows significant improvement, which is good.

I certainly do not know why he would not want to see you this year. Not to scare you, but a situation where you have diastolic dysfunction with a normal ejection fraction is known as heart failure with preserved ejection fraction (HFpEF).

This situation could be caused by obesity, ischemia, aging, etc. Your EKG result as of six months ago showed ST depression, which indicated ischemia. This could be the cause in your case.

There is a study, that shows the prevalence of diastolic dysfunction occurring for a longer time after an event of ischemia.

• I will advise that you go for a stress echocardiography, this will give a clear picture of your diastolic function. If the test comes back and shows that you have traces of diastolic dysfunction, then I will advise you approach your cardiologist and explain the situation to him.
  • It is necessary to do the test because six months is quite some time, there might no longer be a trace of diastolic dysfunction, which will be good news.

I sincerely hope you get better soon.

For further queries consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

| 

My father had pain below the heart which was on the rib side. What is the cause?

Query: Hi doctor, My father had mild chest pain. The doctor did an angiogram, and they told there is a block in the blood pumping vessel and it is closed. We planned for placing a stent. The next day, the doctor tested again and told the blood vessel is opened and it is normal. So, the stent was not place...  Read Full »

Can machine-generated report of EKG be completely relied upon?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 41-year-old male. I have been elected for an EKG because I am a pilot and need a medical certificate. I have hypertension that is controlled easily with 10 mg Propranolol a day and 10 mg Lisinopril a day. My BP is 117/70 with 66 BPM. There are no symptoms of chest pain or shortn...  Read Full »

My EKG reports did not show CPVT. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I understand that a resting EKG cannot show catecholaminergic polymorphic ventricular tachycardia (CPVT). I had numerous EKGs and echoes and all were normal. I read that the stress test is the only way to diagnose CPVT. I have had major panic attacks during EKGs with heart rates up to 140...  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»