Q. What can be done for atrial fibrillation in a patient with stent?

Published on Oct 09, 2018

My grandfather is experiencing atrial fibrillation. He got stents 20 years back.

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

There is nothing to worry about it. It is common in elders and heart patients. There are two aspects of treatment, one is to control the heart, which is already controlled in ECG report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and another is to have blood thinners to avoid the risk of stroke. So, he has to be started on blood thinners like Dabigatran or Rivaroxaban to prevent stroke. This is an addition to other blood thinners like Aspirin.

Also, his ECG printed report is showing a slow ventricular rate, so his drug should be modified to achieve a heart rate between 60 to 70 per minute. Otherwise, he may get dizziness if the heart rate is very low. So, discuss these issues with your local doctor. Overall, with medicines, this is not worrisome usually.

| 

What ayurvedic medicine to take after stent placement?

Query: Hello doctor,My father is 58 and recently the doctors told us to go for the implantation of a stent on an emergency basis. We did accordingly. But, I want to rely completely on Ayurveda for him to recover from this heart disease. After the stent, what medicine should he take, and how to overcome hea...  Read Full »

Brother-in-law got a stent for stomach cancer and still not able to eat. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, My brother-in-law has stomach cancer of a genetic type and the doctors were going to take his entire stomach out. My brother-in-law was constantly vomiting and could not keep food or even liquid down. So, the doctor put a stent in before 8 days and he had intense pain till two days. Now, ...  Read Full »

I feel as if my heart is pounding irregularly. Can it be atrial fibrillation?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 46 year old female. My blood pressure is low normal. I have never had any heart issues except palpitations when pregnant 10 years ago. They did a cardiac ultrasound at that time, which was normal. Just over a week ago, I started feeling, intermittently during the day, as if my ...  Read Full »