Q. What can be done for atrial fibrillation in a patient with stent?

My grandfather is experiencing atrial fibrillation. He got stents 20 years back.

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

There is nothing to worry about it. It is common in elders and heart patients. There are two aspects of treatment, one is to control the heart, which is already controlled in ECG report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and another is to have blood thinners to avoid the risk of stroke. So, he has to be started on blood thinners like Dabigatran or Rivaroxaban to prevent stroke. This is an addition to other blood thinners like Aspirin.

Also, his ECG printed report is showing a slow ventricular rate, so his drug should be modified to achieve a heart rate between 60 to 70 per minute. Otherwise, he may get dizziness if the heart rate is very low. So, discuss these issues with your local doctor. Overall, with medicines, this is not worrisome usually.

|