Q. Is ASD a dangerous condition?

Dr. Prashant Valecha
This is a premium question & answer published on May 13, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My son is 2 years 4 months old. He weighs 11 kg. When he was 4 months old, his doctor recommended me to take echo test. In echo he found acyanotic congenital heart disease. The report showed a small ASD 6 mm left to right shunt RA RV. Normal biventricular function. Mild PS GMAX 20 mm Hg. Doctor informed me that I should repeat his echo after two years. Please tell me the problem. How danger is the condition? Please explain.

Dr. Prashant Valecha

Cardiology General Practitioner
#

• ASD (atrial septal defect) is a hole in partition between two upper chambers of the heart.
  • If it is of patent foramen ovale (PFO) type then usually after two years it closes by itself.
  • But, if it is an ostium secundum OS ASD type, then it will not close by itself. But, a device closure has to be done.
  • Echo - echocardiogram has to be repeated after two years to see the effect of ASD on heart and to see whether it is closed or not. It will also help the doctor to plan for closure if open.

For further doubts consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

| 

Please tell me whether my son's case is PFO or OS ASD. I have attached the echo pictures for your reference.

Dr. Prashant Valecha

Cardiology General Practitioner
#

• He did not mention anything in the report. You just go and ask him again regarding the type of ASD.

|