Q. How to find out if my son is suffering from any communication problem?

I have twins, a boy and a girl aged 2 years. I noticed that the girl advanced in skills than the boy. In the first few months of life, my son was faster than his sister in the growth and everything. And then, it was reversed. I am a graduate of psychology. I have a brother suffering from autism and frankly, I have a fear of this disease. I do not care and I do not want to surrender to delusions. But, mom and dad insist on reminding me of everything you see them that my son is also the possibility of getting hurt. I started since 10 months; I am watching my son very much. I blame him if he did not implement what I am asking. He says dad and mom. He loves to play, laugh and shake hands if I asked him to do so. He looks into my eyes when I talk, but I do not feel that he understands what I am saying to him always. For example, if I asked him to bring me cheesed off the table, he does not focus with me and ignore me. On the other hand, if he feels he is thirsty, then he will come to me and say a bottle of water. I know this is probably because the rate of a normal IQ and concentration varies from one to another child. I want a word from the doctor that makes me serenely scream in the face of all of the notes that my son is not normal and I tell them that my son safe and sound. The question is how completely I know that my son is not suffering from any problems in communicating diseases or behavior?

Do you have a question on Autism Spectrum Disorder or Behavior Disorder?

Ask a Doctor Now

M.B.B.S., M.D. PSYCHIATRY
Andrology Geriatrics Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology

I have gone through the query with keen interest and understand your concerns. Before making any opinions I need to inform you that take the things in objective manner and not on emotions

I understand there is history of autism in the family and it does not mean your child suffers with autism.

In a normal growing child there are many ups and downs and not responding on some occasions is not indicative of serious pathology like autism.

We need to take notice that a child plays well with another child, responds to language on most occasions, cheerful, not having any abnormal repetitive stereotyped movements and communicates with the mother.

Having said this I feel it will be appropriate to fill a simple questionnaire called Autism Spectrum Screening Questionnaire (ASSQ). This is a screening instrument for autism and you will know probably with sure that whether there is problem or not.

If you still feel there is something abnormal, then you may contact the specialist doctor nearby for a physical evaluation.

For further information consult a psychologist counsellor online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychologist-counsellor

How to handle my husband with effective communication?
Query: Hi doctor, My husband is very broadminded and good hearted. He is an all rounder in every arena, both at home and outside. He can manage anything and can do any task. But, he quickly gets irritated when saw any flaw around. He expects me to be 100% perfectionist in any work at home. Due to the irr...  Read Full »
Dr. Mehwish Mursaleen
Psychologist Counsellor

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I completely understand that you are facing a hard time dealing with your husband at times he gets irritated and you feel concerned about your baby if she gets affected by this attitude. Here, I am telling you something related to psychological theories and research findi...  Read Full »

How is Asperger syndrome named today?
Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with Asperger syndrome when I was 13 years of age. I am 22 now. How does the DSM-5 change that disorder?  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Asperger was previously regarded as a separate disorder, but now it is categorized as a form of autism spectrum disorder (ASD) in DSM-5 Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorder). ASD includes, Autism. Asperger disorder. Childhood disintegrative d...  Read Full »

Do vitamin B12 shots cause derealization symptoms?
Query: Hi doctor, I have been suffering from the derealization symptoms for the past 5 years. I believe they were caused by B12 shots I was taking to treat autism. After my brain scan I got to know that my inhibition was too high. I do not find any safety net to keep my mind from deconstructing things. A...  Read Full »
Geriatrician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. I am sorry to know that you are suffering with multiple problems related to thinking and inhibition. Before saying anything I must assure you that vitamin B12 is not known to cause any of the mentioned symptoms and we ...  Read Full »

Trending

Trending

Ask a Doctor Now