Q. How can I manage chronic idiopathic constipation?

Dr. Noushif. M

I am a 69-year-old male with 74 kg weight (constant for 45 years), 174 cm height, BMI 24 and nondiabetic. My blood pressure is under control, i.e., 130/70 mmHg with Temsan 40 mg one tablet a day and Metolar 25 two tablets a day. CBC, urea, creatinine, urine reports are all normal. Chest X-ray is normal along with ECG. I am suffering from chronic idiopathic constipation from the past 12 years. I have managed my constipation with fiber supplements, ayurvedic medicines, regular walk (8 km every day), good diet with fruits, etc., in the past. However, two years back, I had sinusitis and was given a heavy dose of antibiotics Cefuroxime Axetil 500 mg two tablets a day for 10 days. This heavy dose completely disturbed my motion, and I have not been able to pass stool normally for last 15 months even with fiber supplements and ayurvedic medicines. To overcome this, I have taken following medicines prescribed by the doctor:

1. Lactifiber two to three spoons at night in warm water.
  2. Pegred 2 spoons at night.
  3. PEG fiber powder three tablespoons at night.
  4. Ganaton Total.
  5. Pruvict 2 mg (Prucalopride).

Above medicines were not at all helpful. Then, I was prescribed with the following:

1. Tablet Cremalax one tablet at night.
  2. Pruvict 2 mg at lunch.
  3. Syrup Lactihep 3 tablespoons before bed.
  4. Movical sachet at night with glass of water.

The above combination worked like a miracle. I thought that my constipation problem is solved once for all. However, the effect lasted only for 4 to 5 days, and my system is back to abnormal. Currently, I am managing my constipation with tap water enema which I inject through the anus and wait for 5 to 10 minutes for the pressure to get generated and relieved. This allows emptying my bowl very well with great relief and a good appetite. I was in abroad for four months and has gained weight of around 3 kg. I walk every day around 6 to 8 km and do yoga to strengthen belly muscles. My fasting sugar was 65 mg/dl two weeks back. There is no fatigue. I have a good sleep during day and night, and currently, I take Shelcal 500 one tablet a day. Please let me know what course of action comes to your mind.

#

Bowel frequency can vary from 3 per day to 3 per week. It can have individual variation. Its always better to reduce the amount as well as the frequency of laxatives. Dietary changes, liquid intake, etc., should constantly be maintained for sustained response.

You need to do a few tests if not done before as follows:

1. Thyroid function test (serum T3, T4, TSH).
  2. Complete colonoscopy.

Regarding diet, avoid all constipating foods. Keep yourself well hydrated with around 2 to 3 liters of water daily.

For more information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

|