Q. Can Z-pack increase your heart rate and cause anxiety?

Dr. Gauri Gadge
This is a premium question & answer published on May 11, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 01, 2021

I am a 34-year-old female who is a smoker. My doctor prescribed Z-pack for me yesterday. I have shortness of breath and chest tightness, I also had wheezing, but he did not hear it when he listened to my breathing. I am really worried about taking this antibiotic because even though I am not allergic to any medicines that I know of, he did not ask me many other medical questions to see if this was a safe option for me. I read this medication can increase heart rate, and people have gone into cardiac arrest? I already have a resting rate of about 105 and pretty bad anxiety. I would like some reassurance that this is a safe drug and I do not have to worry about deadly side effects.

#

I understand that you are worried about the side effect of the prescribed drug. In my opinion, Azithromycin is one of the safe drugs, so do take medicine without any doubt. Secondly, I would like to know your history in detail. And last but not least, in my opinion, it is a good time to give a thought about quitting smoking.

Spirometry testing with bronchodilator responsiveness testing.

Allergic bronchitis, bronchial asthma worsening due to smoking.

|