Q. Completed a course of Azithromycin but no relief. What can be done?

Dr. Mehak Agarwal
Published on Nov 11, 2017

I have had a throat infection with mild coughing and no sneezing and fever. I took Azithromycin 250 mg twice a day for four days and stopped. After three to four days, it came back again. Kindly advise me on the medicine.

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

• For how many days have you taken Azithromycin? It should be taken for five to seven days.
  • Do have pain in the throat or itching or both?
  • Do you have any acidity? Acidity is the most common cause of recurrent throat infection.
  • Also, can you send a picture of your throat and oral cavity?
  • Does the mucus trickle down to your throat? If yes, then we need to rule out sinusitis because sinusitis also causes a recurrent throat infection.

For more information consult an ENT Otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

I have taken Azithromycin 250 mg twice a day for four days. I have mild acidity. There is no pain in the throat. There are only a sore throat and mild coughing that is yellow and white. There is no sneezing and n fever. I had throat infection once or twice a year during seasonal change. However, there was no mucus. There is no sinus kind of pain either.

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Diabetology Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

• I suggest you take mucolytics like Mucinac (Acetylcysteine) 1200 mg once daily for five days.
  • I suggest you take a combination of anti-inflammatory antihistamines and decongestant like Sinarest (Caffeine, Chlorpheniramine, Paracetamol, Phenylephrine) or Recofast Plus (Paracetamol, Pseudoephedrine, Triprolidine) once daily for five days. If the pain is severe, you can even take it twice daily.
  • I also suggest you take proton pump inhibitors like Rabeprazole once daily before breakfast. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the above medicines with their consent.
  • You need not take antibiotics. You can avoid cold and spicy food.

How to get rid of acidity caused due to taking spicy food?

Query: Hello doctor, I eat out a lot and take junk food very frequently. I am suffering from acidity now. If I take spicy food, I feel uneasiness in my stomach. I am a 25 year old male. Please help.  Read Full >>

Dr. Sugandh Garg

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please consider the following suggestions to get rid of your acidity: Avoid eating out. Also avoid oily, spicy and fried food items. Drink plenty of water (at least eight glasses of water every day). Drink two glasses of water in the morning as soon as...  Read Full

I have itching and hot feeling in between my thigh and vagina. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a strong itching and hot feeling in the space between my left thigh and vagina. What could be causing this? I am really not able to tell if there is a color change.  Read Full >>

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Intense itching as you describe mostly indicates a fungal infection. It is possible that you might be working in a hot environment or maybe sweating too much there along with wearing tight clothes. That prevents aeration of the area and promotes fungal growth. Try using...  Read Full

How can I control acidity with headache?

Query: Hello doctor,I am having an acidity problem. From the past 10 days, it is being greater due to which I am having a headache from the past 10 days. What should I do to control it and what should be my diet and routine exercise?  Read Full >>

Dr. Md. Kamrul Hasan Sajib
Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have read your problem carefully. I need some information that is missing in your query. Your age, job, daily life and dietary habit, acidity increases after or before the meal, more details about the stomach problem, bowel habit. I am trying to give you some suggesti...  Read Full