Q. Why is my 28 days old daughter crying a lot from morning?

Dr. Prachee Shah
Published on May 19, 2017

My 28 days old daughter has been crying a lot since morning. Even when she sleeps, she gets up within half an hour crying. Her body temperature is 98.4 F. She does not have a cough or cold. I have a minor throat infection. Is it possible that she might have caught my throat infection? I am breastfeeding her regularly. Her urine and stool are normal, but she seems very uneasy.

Dr. Prachee Shah

Paediatrics
#

Sorry to hear that your little one is not in good spirits today.

• A neonate can be upset for a variety of reasons ranging from tummy upset, colic, nose block, ear ache, tiredness, etc. 
  • Since you are having a minor infection and she is waking frequently, there may be a possibility of her having either nose block or initiation of some upper respiratory tract infection.
  • Even change in temperature can also affect the babies. So what you can do is, nurse her frequently and carry her whenever she cries. If she is not better by tomorrow morning, do visit a pediatrician in person.

Hope this is helpful to you. Wish your little one becomes playful and cheerful once again.

For further queries consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

Thank you for your reply. She is frequently asking for something to suck on. She is also passing urine every 1 to 2 hour. Is that something to worry about? Or is it because of the weather change?

Dr. Prachee Shah

Paediatrics
#

• It is good that she is maintaining her hydration as indicated by passing frequent urine.
  • As for frequent sucking, it acts as soother or comforter when the baby is not in good spirits. So, offer to breastfeed whenever she demands, and again if you feel any new development, do visit a pediatrician in person.
  • One more thing babies go through a period of intense development called as growth spurts, which last for few days. They become cranky and nurse frequently. If otherwise, the baby is asymptomatic, then growth spurt should also be considered.

Hope I am able to answer your concerns. My best wishes that your little one becomes chirpy again. Have a nice day.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

Thank you so much. Your answers have really helped. I was very worried. During a growth spurt, what other changes will I see? As mentioned earlier, her body temperature is normal. In that case, can I rule out cold or other respiratory infections?

Dr. Prachee Shah

Paediatrics
#

• Glad that I was able to alleviate some of your anxiety.
  • Growth spurts are identified by a sudden change in behavior, feeding pattern, and sleep pattern in an otherwise normal child. It lasts for maximum 10 days and after that, you may notice new development milestone attained by the baby.

As for fever, if the baby is afebrile for next 48 hours, then infection is less likely.

Good morning. Thanks for your guidance. My daughter is feeling better now. I had one more question on lactation. My nipples are very flat. I feel as if my baby cannot find my nipple for milk.

Dr. Prachee Shah

Paediatrics
#

Happy to hear your daughter is feeling well.

• There are some normal anatomical variations of nipples. Maybe, you are having one of them. It requires me to have a look on your breastfeeding session for giving proper guidance on the latch.
  • Try to give areola, that is, the dark skin surrounding the nipple into the baby's mouth, rather than only the nipple.

Thank you doctor,

I give the entire areola to my baby. She searches as if she is not getting the nipple. Can we have a video session? Please let me know a time convenient to you.

Dr. Prachee Shah

Paediatrics
#

Sure, we can do a video consultation. Please book a video consultation from the site, and you will see the free slots available there.

Thank you for replying. I will surely book a video consultation. Just one last question before signing off. Can bras affect the nipple size and shape? Can it be the reason why my nipples are becoming flat?

Dr. Prachee Shah

Paediatrics
#

• Your bra should not compress the nipples. Select one which provides enough space for nipples.

Why the ear pain increased after using prescribed ear drops?

Query: Hello doctor,A few months back, I had ear pain and according to the doctor, I had a fungal infection and got my ear cleansed and prescribed some drops for my ear to be used. As I used those ear drops my ear pain got increased and it turned into a very severe pain that I start feeling that some fluid...  Read Full »

Other than earwax, what can cause clogged ear?

Query: Hello doctor, I had cold a few days ago. During that time, my ear was clogged. I originally thought that it was earwax, but I tried everything for earwax and it did not help. It has been a few days now and I am trying to find out what might be wrong. Please help.  Read Full »

What causes fever and blocked ears with cough?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a fever with a cough. I have blocked ear. What can I do?  Read Full »