Q. What should I do when my three and a half-month-old baby has loose motion?

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

My 3 and a half-month-old baby is suffering from loose motion. I am giving Enterogermina, but it is not working. She does potty all the time after feeding. What can be done?

Dr. Prashant Kumar Singh

Child Health Paediatrics Pediatric Allergy/Asthma Specialist

Since your baby is just 3 and a half-month-old, I wanted to know whether the child is exclusively breastfed or on any formula milk. If the child is on breast milk, then there is no issue, but if the child is on any formula milk, then there is a chance of contamination leading to stomach infection. Generally, it takes five to ten days for this to settle, meanwhile continue Enterogermina (Bacillus Clausii) and add some Zinc supplement also. It will settle slowly.

Is loose motion normal in a newborn?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby is of 9 days old now. She is suffering from loose motion. I had given her Colicaid six drops in last 24 hours. She is only on breastfeed. Is it safe for her?  Read Full >>

Dr. Deepak Patel
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. A baby can pass five to six stools in a day or can pass stool once in two days. Both are normal. Since, baby is on exclusive breastfeed chance of infection is very less. Briefly, your baby is normal. In my opinion, you should give prebiotic like Enterogermina (Ba...  Read Full

Cow's milk does not seem to suit my 1 year old baby. What can I give her instead?

Query: Hello doctor, Our baby girl is about 1 year and one month old. We just started giving cow milk two days back. A packet of A2 unpasteurized milk was bought, boiled and cooled down. We gave about 300 ml per day once. Her motion looks affected a little. It is not solid. At night, she suddenly started c...  Read Full >>

Dr. Preeti Puranik
Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Unpasteurized milk is not advisable to be given, as pasteurization is required to kill all the bacteria or germs in the milk. I think the baby does have some issues with cow milk and is crying due to colic (abdominal pain). Formula milk (any stage 3) is always better t...  Read Full

My kid was vomiting frequently and now has loose stools. What can be the issue?

Query: Hello doctor, My dear daughter just completed 1 year yesterday and still on breastfeed (twice, a full day) along with normal food. She is lactose intolerant and was hypocalcemic (less calcium) by birth. Her doctor gave her OstoCalcium and retested after six months and she turned to be absolutely fi...  Read Full >>

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do not worry so much. What you are describing seems to be gastroenteritis. Continue the same medications which are going on. Watch for lethargy and dehydration. The matter should settle in two to three days. I suggest giving Enterogermina respule (probiotic vials), ...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now