Q. Is it advisable to give Ofloxacin and Flagyl to a newborn for loose motion?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
Published on May 25, 2019 and last reviewed on: May 28, 2019

Five months old baby suffered from loose motion and fewer doctors gave Ofloxacin 50 mg and Flagyl 200 mg syrup. They told to give 3 ml three times a day, each syrup for 5 months old. Is this dosage correct?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim

Child Health Paediatrics
#

The dose specified above is too much and unnecessary for a child so small as 6.8 kg. It is advisable instead to just give the child Enterogermina 1 capsule twice a day for five days along with ORS with the passage of each loose stool. As for the fever, you can give syrup Crocin (125 mg/5 ml) 3.5 ml (six hourly) if temperature is above 100 F. Also, give ORS 70 ml with passage of each loose stool. Watch for dehydration. If worsening, please show to a pediatrician.

How much time will it take for liver abscess to get cured with Metronidazole?

Query: Hello doctor, I got reported as liver abscess and the size is 70 x 60 mm. The doctor's treatment is Metronidazole. How much time will it take to cure?  Read Full »

Is it safe to take Ofloxacin for body and penile irritation?

Query: Hi doctor, I have body irritation and irritation in the penile area. I have body weakness and pain in the back and waist. I have a mild fever and malaise. Please go through my reports. Suggest me a suitable treatment plan. I want to know an answer. Is it safe to take Ofloxacin 400 mg for a longer t...  Read Full »

Nutritional Management of Diarrhea in Children

Article Overview: Children are very susceptible to various kinds of infections and diseases. Hence, it is very essential to take care of their health as they fall sick quite often. One of the reason diarrhea is common is probably the lack of hygienic practices followed in the kitchen. Read Article

Dr. Krystel Quadros
Paediatrician

Following are some of the nutritional remedies for kids with diarrhea. Plenty of Fluids If your child is suffering from diarrhea, there is a lot of water loss occurring in your child’s body leading to dehydration. Also, there is a loss of various electrolytes from the body, for example, sodi...  Read Article