Q. My 3-month-old baby is having loose stools for the last 15 days. What to do?

Dr. Farhana Yasmin
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 30, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 10, 2021

My 3-month-old baby is having loose stools for the past 15 days. The color of the poop has turned from yellow to greenish-yellow with a bad smell. My child is having this issue for seven days. I consulted a pediatrician and he gave an antibiotic injection. But there is no improvement. Homeopathic drops have reduced his poop frequency. As I stopped giving medicine, it got started again.

#

You have not mentioned the number of times of passing stools. Please mention whether you are giving breastfeeding to your child. Do not give him homeopathy medicines. You can give Erythromycin syrup one to three teaspoons four times a day for seven days. Give oral rehydration solution five teaspoons after each purging. Continue giving breastfeeding. There is a rule for making ORS (oral rehydration solution). Make a whole pack at a time and you can use it up to six hours. After this time, you can discard the residual. Have an eye on your baby's urine output. You can do stool R/M/E (routine microscopic examination) and C/S (stool culture and sensitivity) to rule out the cause.

|