Q. My 3-month-old baby is having loose stools for the last 15 days. What to do?

Dr. Farhana Yasmin
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha

My 3-month-old baby is having loose stools for the last 15 days. For the last 7 or 8 days, the color of poop turned from yellow with mucus to greenish-yellow with bad smell. I consulted with a pediatrician, and he gave antibiotic injection and drops to him. But, I could not see any improvement.

Homeopathic drops reduce poop frequency, but as I stop giving the medicine, it all started again.

I am clueless and under lockdown. So, I am not able to visit a good doctor.

#

Thanks for your query.

You did not mention how many times in a day he passes stool and the name of the antibiotic.

Does your baby breastfeed? And, please do not give him homeo or other kinds of medication.

Give him syrup Erythromycin one-third teaspoon four times daily for seven days. Please, add oral rehydration solution five teaspoonfuls after each purging. Please do continue breastfeeding.

There is a rule for making ORS. Please follow the rules for making ORS. Make the whole packet at a time and you will be able to use it up to 6 hours. After this period, please discard the residual.

You keep an eye on whether your baby's urine output is adequate or not. If possible, do a test for your baby. The name of the test is stool R/M/E (routine microscopic examination) and C/S (stool culture and sensitivity test). Kindly consult in the future if needed.

| 

I have abdominal pain with watery stool. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, I have the following symptoms. Abdominal pain, starting from yesterday night. Had instant noodle and two eggs for the meal last night. At first, it was severe pain and strange sound in the intestine and could not poop. And then I had diarrhea and poop water. Hardly slept last night du...  Read Full »

I have stomach bloating problem with dry mouth and mild head pain. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor,I have stomach bloating problem with dry mouth and mild head pain. I am 41 years old, an average height of 5 feet 9 inches and 74 kg.  Read Full »

Baby had loose stools with mucus and pain in abdomen after given Augmentin. What to do?

Query: Dear Doctor, My 5 year old daughter suffering from fever with running nose since 10 days now. After giving Augmentin, she is having loose stool almost 10 times a day, watery with mucus. What to do?  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»