Q. My 7 months old baby keeps twisting his wrist all the time. Should I look it up?

Dr. Hitesh Kumar
This is a premium question & answer published on May 11, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 14, 2021

My baby is 7 months old. He keeps on twisting his wrist (left arm) all the time. Whenever he is excited, angry, crying or if he wants to reach out for anything or just focusing. His development is on track. He makes great eye contact. He plays, laughs, tries to imitate sounds, sits on his own and turn both sides. He has two teeth. He is active and in good health. It is just the wrist twist or twirl that is bugging me. He does not seem to be bothered when I hold his hand or if I stop him. If he is occupied with a toy, he does not do the twirl. If he holds my finger, he will open and close his hand. Am I worrying unnecessarily? Should I look it up or just wait on him to outgrow it?

#

• Such abnormal movement can be non-specific or also can be some seizure. But, it is not possible to decide its nature based on your description.
  • I suggest you make a video of hand twist or twirl for a better understanding of the event and judgment.
  • Also, you can consult a neurologist in person for details examination.

Revert with a video to a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

I have attached a video. Please find the attachment.

#

• The left-hand movement does not look like a seizure (attachment removed to protect patient identity).
  • Either these are non-specific movements, which a kid can do or a possibility of some kind of movement disorder too. It does not seem to be an emergency
  • But still, I suggest you to meet a pediatric neurologist in person so that he can assess the kid clinically and examine him properly for better understanding of these movements or associated findings if any.

For further information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

|